Antonia74 Question

Baking By luminajd Updated 28 Jan 2011 , 4:26am by jules5000

luminajd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luminajd Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 1:54am
post #1 of 7

Antonia74's royal icing recipe says to use a paddle. I dont have one, just beaters or a whisk attachment. Will beaters work?
Thanks!

6 replies
Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 8:05am
post #2 of 7

yes i have heard people using the whisk attachment to mix RI you jsut got to be careful because you might be more likely to end up with airbubbles in your RI due to the whisk whipping more air into your mix.

To minimise that make sure you mixing on the lowest setting possible. If bubbles appear try popping them then gently restir and this will hopefully get rid of many of them.

Thats all the advice i got sorry

HTH icon_smile.gif

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 7

Are you using a stand mixer, like a KitchenAid....or are you using a hand-mixer? Is this the KitchenAid attachment you have? See pic below. That's called a paddle or a beater, you've got the right one. icon_smile.gif

The paddle attachment blends without aerating, and the main purpose of the whisks are to aerate. It's kind of the opposite of what you'd like to achieve with the icing.

To get rid of those pesky air bubbles as much as possible, make the bowl of icing up the night before you'll be using it. Cover it with a very wrung-out wet tea-towel, then cover the whole thing with a plastic grocery bag. Leave it out on the counter.

The next morning when you go to use it, all those air bubbles have risen to the top surface and popped. With a few slow stirs of your spatula, you'll find you now have a smooth-as-glass icing to pipe with.
LL

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 7

I have looked everywhere on here and have not had the success even with searches to pull up this recipe. Would someone please be kind enough to message me with the recipe? I would sure appreciate it. Thank you very much.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 10:35pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules5000

I have looked everywhere on here and have not had the success even with searches to pull up this recipe. Would someone please be kind enough to message me with the recipe? I would sure appreciate it. Thank you very much.

if you go to the recipes and search antonia it comes up with her royal icing recipe.

here is a direct link though.
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/?s=antonia

AlwaysAmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlwaysAmy Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 11:01pm
post #6 of 7

I just made a batch a few hours ago using the whisk attachment on my mixer. Being a 17 year old baker with only what mom already has, gifts, and what I buy myself, I can't picture a KA in my future (and I'll heading off to college just in time for my next birthday, where I'm guessing it won't do me that much good). Tangent, sorry. Anyway, I've never had problems with this. I used to just use the plain beaters and it worked just fine, but I've found I like the single whisk a bit more actually. I don't know what it's like when everyone else makes it, but it is normally extremely creamy when I'm done mixing (I don't let it go as long as the instructions say, either, mostly because I get tired of standing there holding the mixer forever). Then I just give it a few strokes with my spatula and I'm good to thin it or use it as is.

Then again, I only get to make cookies on semi-rare occasion (dumb school getting in the way =P), so you might want to take the advice of more practiced...practitioners.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 4:26am
post #7 of 7

When I went to do the search I tried everything I could think of and Antonias was one of the searches and maybe this thing just had a glitch, but it kept bringing me up with no results. I wasn't sure how long before I would get a result, but I thought hey why not try Google and I came up with Antonia's RI. It said it was from cakecentral, but I had, had no luck when I tried on Cake Central. LOL. icon_smile.gif Thanks for the response. So I printed me out a copy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%