Lemon Curd Or Raspberry Filling

Baking By miny Updated 28 Sep 2009 , 4:10pm by miny

miny Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone,
I'm making a bridal shower cake for a friend, she wants white cake, lemon curd and raspberry filling, I was thinking on making the WASC lemon variation to match the lemon curd without changing the cake color to much but I have a question, should I make one tier just lemon and the other tier just raspberry (it's going to be a 2 tier cake) or can I mix it like : cake, lemon curd, cake, raspberry filling, cake. I'm not really sure what the flavor combo taste like because it'll be my first time using the lemon curd. So what do you think? Which route should I take? I really want to impress my friend. TIA for your comments and help.

11 replies
Lenette Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 11:04pm
post #2 of 12

I would layer it like you said- white cake, rasp filling, white cake, lemon curd, etc

It makes a really pretty presentation when plated and the flavors work well together. Go for it!

Doug Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 12

since my 4" tiers are always torted so I get 4 layers of cake and 3 of filling...

my would be

cake
lemon curd
cake
raspberry
cake
lemon curd
cake

(or I might flip the lemon and raspberry - 2 raspberry & 1 lemon)

miny Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 12:14am
post #4 of 12

Thank you so much guys, I'm going for the mixed version now that you told me the flavors work well together. Thanks a bunch!

miny Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 12:34am
post #5 of 12

Oh wait, I forgot to ask what flavor SMBC should I use for this cake, plain vanilla, lemon (I'm scared it will be a lot like in your face lemon flavor) or what other flavor do you suggest that will work with this cake. TIA (again)

-K8memphis Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 12:42am
post #6 of 12

I do that all the time with vanilla smbc and the white wasc.

PuffCake Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 12:58am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

since my 4" tiers are always torted so I get 4 layers of cake and 3 of filling...

my would be

cake
lemon curd
cake
raspberry
cake
lemon curd
cake

(or I might flip the lemon and raspberry - 2 raspberry & 1 lemon)

My favorite 2 filling flavors...both in the same cake...Yummm! I don't think you can go wrong with this flavor combination.

-K8memphis Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 1:09am
post #8 of 12

I like to do a whipped cream and fresh strawberry one in the middle then a berry filling and a lemon on either side.

miny Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:23am
post #9 of 12

That sounds very good too, thanks everyone

MissRobin Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:26pm
post #10 of 12

I am looking for a good lemon curd filling, Anyone??? How long can lemon curd set out and be safe????

PuffCake Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:52pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRobin

I am looking for a good lemon curd filling, Anyone??? How long can lemon curd set out and be safe????

I use Dickinson's brand. You can buy it in the jam/jelly or baking aisle of the grocery store. It's delicious! Since it's shelf stable it does not need to be refrigerated. Making it from scratch though would be another story. Maybe someone who makes lemon curd from scratch can help you out with how long it can sit out.

miny Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 4:10pm
post #12 of 12

I made the one in the recipe section, it was very good, but I have no idea for how long you can keep it out because the cake didn't last! The only thing I can tell you is that the recipe makes only about 3 cups or so. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%