Seriously....wedding Servings

Decorating By radtech Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 1:12pm by radtech

radtech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
radtech Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 10:30pm
post #1 of 11

What serving guide do most people use for weddings. I find it confusing and would like to know which is most popular. It seems to me that a 16 inch square cut 1x2 should serve 128 however on some diagrams/charts it is less (Earlene's). Help

10 replies
mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 11

Most bakers will go with that (1x2x4 serving). Here is the wilton data sheet!

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-data.cfm

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 11

I use 1x2x4 inch slices. I don't know how Earlene's differs, but I would agree with your math at 128 servings! I know some people have "party" and "wedding" servings (which might be Earlene's difference), but I think that's confusing. I just stick with one serving size.

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 11

It's hard when you have two guides, both use the 1x2x4, and both give you bigtime different numbers icon_razz.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 10:45pm
post #5 of 11

Most venues cut using the Wilton chart of 1x2x4. If you go by a chart that uses bigger pieces, you're leaving money on the table, unless you charge more per serving because you're allocating more cake per serving.

Here's how to cut the cake to achieve these numbers: http://www.cateritsimple.com/id10.html

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 11:13pm
post #6 of 11

I used indidebi's and it was perfect! Give it a try.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 11:46pm
post #7 of 11

Ditto. Wilton and Indy.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 12:29pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaswolf

I use 1x2x4 inch slices. I don't know how Earlene's differs, but I would agree with your math at 128 servings! I know some people have "party" and "wedding" servings (which might be Earlene's difference), but I think that's confusing. I just stick with one serving size.

Earlene's slices are just a lot bigger than the Wilton slices.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 12:36pm
post #9 of 11

This wedding serving size has another facet to it.

It needs to be good slicing cake too.

For example if a cake is too fresh from the oven or too moist it crumbles more and there's wasted servings.

So there's much more to it than just size.

Slices & serves well is very important to getting those 1x2x4's all in a row.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 12:55pm
post #10 of 11

I round wilton's chart down by 5's.....so if it says 24 servings, I say 20...if it says 58, I say 55 and so on.
That way if I have to stay and cut the cake myself, it gives me a little buffer on making sure I get at least the amount I said you would get out of it!

If you go with Earlene's chart, you'll have to charge more per serving......I cut a cake using her chart once and the pieces were way too big!!!

radtech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
radtech Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 1:12pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks everyone, you have saved me again. I love being able to just jump online at anytime (middle of the night) and ask you about things I am not sure of. You are all awsome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%