Help Me Decide..

Business By HarleyDee Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 9:15pm by HarleyDee

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 9

I've got my first bridal show coming up next month. My samples are mini cupcakes, and our area doesn't require them to be lidded. I have two options for serving them.

1. I found some beautiful rectangular silver metal platters for $15 each. I'm thinking two on a table?

2. I can build a cute cupcake stand.

We only get one table for the show, so the samples will be on the same table with my display cakes (at least 3 displays). Should I have the samples low while the displays are high, or should I let my cupcakes be tall on a stand like my displays?

Dunno if this plays a factor in the decision, but the table will have a white tablecloth draping to the ground, then a hot pink shorter tablecloth draping over that.

So what do you all think would look better? icon_smile.gif

8 replies
PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 10:02pm
post #2 of 9

I vote for option 1. I think it would look better, the trays sound very elegant and I think the cupcakes would seem more accessible to the people sampling them if they were on the table in front of the displays.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 10:19pm
post #3 of 9

I kind of like option 1 because you can rearrange the cupcakes as they get taken off the platter, rather than having an empty looking cupcake stand... Just a thought...

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 9

Then again, looking at the situation as a customer, if I saw a booth at the end of the day the had a platter of cupcakes and the platter still looked full (assuming you rearranged the cupcakes as the supply runs out), I would probably assume that those cupcakes didn't taste very good because it would look like no one had eaten very many. Whereas, if I saw a cupcake stand that looked like there were only a few cupcakes left, I would be more likely to rush over and get one before they are all gone.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 4:03am
post #5 of 9

Hm, well, there's another take on it! I was thinking that an empty looking display showed lack of preparation on the part of the vendor, which is not the feeling you want to give off! icon_biggrin.gif But I can see your point that it would make it seem more like a rush deal! So many pros and cons... Personally, I *DO* like the look of the cupcake holder when it's FULL, I just think they look so bare when they're mostly empty...

I'm sure either way will be great, let us know what you decide!

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 11:40am
post #6 of 9

I've actually done the cupcake stand idea many times for bridal shows - it shows another idea for a wedding when the cupcakes are displayed! thumbs_up.gif I did use the Wilton 6-tier stand, so when I started running out of cupcakes, I just took off the top tiers of the stand.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 12:17pm
post #7 of 9

Just because the show only provides one table doesn't mean you can't request another one, or bring your own. I frequently use extra tables in my setup.

Also, while the small platters will be pretty, that is A LOT of time spent refilling. what are the rules as far as handling the food if it isn't lidded? Will you have to have a handwashing station and/or wear gloves? If so, will that interfere with your conversations with the potential brides?

If you use a cupcake tower (with lids) you can fill it with almost all of your samples, freeing yourself up to converse with people.

If you use the cupcake tower (I've used the wilton tall tier stand with great success) you can tie little labels onto the different tiers to indicate what flavors you have.

Here is a photo of my table with samples at one show.
LL

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 12:46pm
post #8 of 9

I also vote for the cupcake tower, because customers will see the potential in having cupcakes for their wedding. They can see how great a cupcake tower is!

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 9:15pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks so much for the input.

The bridal show here is done in a smaller space, so if you want more than one table, you have to pay for it. Full price. And they don't like you bringing in your own either. (They're so weird about stuff. It was just recently that they started letting more than 2 of the same kind of vendors in.)

They don't have any rules against unlidded samples. The other two bakeries that will be there just have theirs out, unlidded also.

And I will have someone there to do nothing but replenish samples, so I won't have to take time to do that.

Thanks for all of your opinions and thoughts! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%