How To Make Fondant Stick To Fondant & How To Seam Fonda

Decorating By CaseyD01 Updated 21 Aug 2009 , 11:05am by Makeitmemorable

CaseyD01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CaseyD01 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 12

Still new with fondant and I am making a grooms cake (3D tractor). Everything with shaping the cake and for the most part covering it with fondant went great. Only problem is how do I seam the fondant (square cake) where I cut out extra?? AND when adding details with fondant; grill, windows, striping, and such how do I stick it to the fondant covered cake? The picture shows the cake and seams but the cake is not completed. Open to any suggestions.
LL

11 replies
DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 12

I think I'd try to cut the fondant where you might have something going over it - like the window or grill or something. To get fondant parts to stick to the fondant already on the cake you can use a small amount of water or preferably get some gumpaste powder mix (like Wilton's) and mix it with water to make a gel consistency and use a paint brush to brush it on the back of your tractor parts and stick it to the tractor. It works like a charm and it won't come off!

venuscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
venuscakes Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 12

Hi I always use a small amount of boiled water brushed on - not too much because the piece you are sticking on will slide about and you may get bubbling around the side of the stuck on piece.

Amandax

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 12

i use water or edible glue to stick on fondant - you can also use ri, bc or chocolate.

to seam fondant, well i havent figured that out yet properly, but a tiny bit of crisco rubbed on the seam helps.
xx

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:35pm
post #5 of 12

Use meringue powder or tylose mixed with water for glue.

Usually the best way to get rid of seams in fondant is to keep from making any, which can be tricky, or just find a way to cover them up...put the windows over the seams that you've got on the top part, cut a strip to go around the bottom part so that it looks like part of the molding on the metal to disgiuise the wrinkles on that part.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:40pm
post #6 of 12

I use piping gel to stick fondant to fondant.

venuscakes Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 6:55am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Use meringue powder or tylose mixed with water for glue.

Usually the best way to get rid of seams in fondant is to keep from making any, which can be tricky, or just find a way to cover them up...put the windows over the seams that you've got on the top part, cut a strip to go around the bottom part so that it looks like part of the molding on the metal to disgiuise the wrinkles on that part.

does that make a pretty strong glue? I was considering whether to try it.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 6:56am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by venuscakes

Does that make a pretty strong glue? I was considering whether to try it.

Yes, tylose and water or tylose and vodka are the strongest glue I've found so far.

venuscakes Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 6:58am
post #9 of 12

Thanks Texas Rose I will give it a go

Amandax

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 7:04am
post #10 of 12

I have been painting a little water on the fondant piece to go onto the fondant.........you mean I have just been lucky it stayed?

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 7:11am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

I have been painting a little water on the fondant piece to go onto the fondant.........you mean I have just been lucky it stayed?

Water works too. I just am in the habit of using gum glue.

To the OP:

I'd either try to cover up the seam with windows, make it look like part of the door seam, add a handle etc. Anything to try and over it up. Or the other option is to redo and if there is a still a seam try to make it where you can hide it the best. If you do redo add pieces of fondant where your windows are going to be then cover with the green fondant and cut out the green fondant so the windows look like there set inside the tractor. If you check out Bellatheball's car cake progression photo's you'll know what I'm talking about:

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 11:05am
post #12 of 12

I always use water to stick fondant together. For a small seam, I paint a small amount of water on it, leave it for about 1 minute and then lightly rub it in the direction of the top layer of fondant. It will then become a little tacky and you can then put some icing sugar on it and it will cover it over.

I would not worry to much for these seams, they look like they are probably where the window goes and perhaps a door.

Best of luck, it looks great

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%