Fillings, What Is Your Favorite?

Decorating By Merry1227 Updated 22 Aug 2009 , 6:33pm by adree313

Merry1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Merry1227 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 31

Ok all you Cake Maker/Eaters, I'm ready to start to try different kinds of fillings. I have always filled with buttercream but figure I need to try other kinds too.
So which is the best with basic white cake?
What about chocolate?

I have some tasters ready so the sooner the better.

Thanks so much!!
Merry

30 replies
PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 31

With white cake I love lemon curd or raspberry preserves. For chocolate cake I love raspberry preserves or caramel or Nutella. Any of the above mixed half and half with buttercream is also really good. Have fun experimenting!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 31

red raspberry. my absolute favorite! followed by chocolate fudge icing as a filling.

white cake with red raspberry covered in chocolate fudge icing ..... mmmmmmmm...... gotta go! I'm putting a cake in the oven! icon_razz.gif

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 12:18am
post #4 of 31

Chocolate cake with white chocolate mousse and fresh (or frozen if you must) raspberries. Cover the cake with fresh whipped cream. Or Chocolate ganache. OMGoodness. Totally YUMMY!

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:03am
post #5 of 31

This could be a really good thread. Lets keep it going!

klat7292 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klat7292 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:20am
post #6 of 31

[quote="indydebi"]red raspberry. my absolute favorite!

AMEN!! with white cake - icon_eek.gif ! What a combo! I actually stumbled on this filling by accident...I ordered strawberry sleeve filling from my local cake supply store and had someone else pick it up for me...I did not realize it was not strawberry until I was filling the cake...what a SWEET surprise that was!! icon_lol.gif (It's GREAT with Swiss Choc cake too!! icon_wink.gif )

Also, one of my favorites is Red Velvet with chocolate ganache!! Now THAT'S a treat!! YUMMY!! thumbs_up.gif

Yankie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yankie Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:22am
post #7 of 31

Fillings I love:

Cheesecake and blueberry fruit filling
Guava filling
Mascarpone with kahlua filling
Strawberry cheesecake and lemon curd filling

Red velvet cake with cheesecake filling

b-radz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
b-radz Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:52am
post #8 of 31

I love devils food cake with nutella mousse filling, yum yum!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:07am
post #9 of 31

My absolute favorite, and the one that gets the biggest response, is white cake with lemon buttercream and fresh red raspberries. The lemon is just the right touch!
Cat

CakesGoneSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesGoneSweet Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:23am
post #10 of 31

Lemon Curd YUMMY!! Just got some coconut lemon cuppies out of the oven and waiting for them to cool so I can stuff them with Lemon Curd!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:27am
post #11 of 31

This is my favorite filling for devil's food cake:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3023-Bavarian-Cream-Recipe.html

My kids love to eat a scoop of it with frest strawberries too. There's never any waste of it around here. 75% of brides choose it for at least one tier during a tasting too.

staten93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staten93 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:37am
post #12 of 31

I love chocolate cake with a peanut butter filling covered in ganache. Oh so yummy and rich. It's my dad's favorite also.

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:46am
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

red raspberry. my absolute favorite! followed by chocolate fudge icing as a filling.

white cake with red raspberry covered in chocolate fudge icing ..... mmmmmmmm...... gotta go! I'm putting a cake in the oven! icon_razz.gif

you stole mine! actually, mine's more of a yellow cake, but still! raspberry filling but covered with chocolate ganache... same basic flavors. i've made about three of these in the past month just for me and my family icon_redface.gif in fact, i just had a piece! icon_biggrin.gif

klat7292 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klat7292 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:48am
post #14 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by staten93

I love chocolate cake with a peanut butter filling covered in ganache. Oh so yummy and rich. It's my dad's favorite also.

that's sounds so YUMMY!! icon_biggrin.gif Do you happen to have a recipe? I would love to try that one!! icon_lol.gif

kellyanne1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyanne1981 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 8:46am
post #15 of 31

lemon curd buttercream is my absollute fave (at the moment) icon_smile.gif

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 10:37am
post #16 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyanne1981

What is lemon curd buttercream? A combo of the 2?

I want to try lemon cyrd for the first time, but need to freeze the cake filled. I don't think I can freeze lemon curd- right? So I'm looking for a new lemony option.

Sh1McDonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sh1McDonald Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 11:13am
post #17 of 31

I like white cake with vanilla pudding/cream and ganache, sort of 'boston-creamish'.

jhutch04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhutch04 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 11:23am
post #18 of 31

My favorite filling that I have made so far has got to be Cookies and Cream. Strawberry mousse comes in 2nd. The strawberry mousse is not only good as a filling but as a dip, to dip cut up fruit in. I could eat both of them plain. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 11:38am
post #19 of 31

Lemon curd with raspberries.

PuffCake Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:33pm
post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahk

Quote:

I want to try lemon cyrd for the first time, but need to freeze the cake filled. I don't think I can freeze lemon curd- right? So I'm looking for a new lemony option.

For lemon curd buttecream, what I do is mix them 50/50. I don't make my own lemon curd. I use Dickinson's brand which is usually in the baking aisle of the grocery store (or maybe the jam/jelly section). It's delicious. I wouldn't be afraid to freeze it at all, especially if mixed with buttercream.

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 4:52pm
post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffCake

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahk

Quote:

For lemon curd buttecream, what I do is mix them 50/50. I don't make my own lemon curd. I use Dickinson's brand which is usually in the baking aisle of the grocery store (or maybe the jam/jelly section). It's delicious. I wouldn't be afraid to freeze it at all, especially if mixed with buttercream.

Thanks!

Merry1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Merry1227 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 5:06pm
post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutch04

My favorite filling that I have made so far has got to be Cookies and Cream. Strawberry mousse comes in 2nd. The strawberry mousse is not only good as a filling but as a dip, to dip cut up fruit in. I could eat both of them plain. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

How do you make cookies and cream?

PuffCake Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 5:12pm
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry1227

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutch04

How do you make cookies and cream?

Sorry if you were only asking jhutch04, but I make cookies and cream by mixing crushed Oreos with whipped vanilla Bettercreme.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 5:14pm
post #24 of 31

My all time fav is coconut cream pie filling, I make it just as if it was going in a pie but instead of pie crust I use cake, yummy.
It goes good with chocolate, white and of course coconut cream cake.
The best recipe I have found is in the Joy of Cooking , its the cream pie recipe with coconut added, ah my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:47am
post #25 of 31

Yes! I see that your subscription plan accepts payment by international credit cards.

kakedreamer1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedreamer1212 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:11am
post #26 of 31

The Cookies andCream filling is also really good with Cream cheese folded into it.

sweetcakesbydesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbydesign Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:41am
post #27 of 31

Oh my gosh!! this is making me drool icon_biggrin.gif . I looove devils food cake with raspberry preserves and whipped chocolate ganache.One word: Yum

sweetcakesbydesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbydesign Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:42am
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakedreamer1212

The Cookies andCream filling is also really good with Cream cheese folded into it.

I agree also with kakedreamer1212 really good with chocolate or white cake...It's a win, win

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 4:59pm
post #29 of 31

I love oreo cream cheese in chocolate. My wedding cake I just did had a layer of chocolate and wasc with this...yum! I also love the wasc with strawberry filling.

Quick question for anyone.....is there any fillings that freeze better then others or any filling that SHOULDN"T be frozen? Thanks.

alysonjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alysonjt Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 5:57pm
post #30 of 31

What is your favorite non-perishable filling? Is it possible to do fruit fillings without refrigerating the cake? I want to branch out from buttercream filling also, but I don't have refrigerator space for the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%