Croissant Recipe

Lounge By steph_78 Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 7:55pm by saffronica

steph_78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steph_78 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:28pm
post #1 of 5

Been looking around have not found many recipes. Anyone here have or know of a good recipe?

4 replies
mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 5

Sorry I can't help you but you can search at allrecipes.com! They have amazing recipes! I'm pretty sure you can find one there. Good luck!

Cheyanne25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheyanne25 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 5

Here is the one I got in my Baking Course from my Chef School.

It's a big lengthy (but making homemade croissants is complicated). I don't know if you have experience with them but I'll give you some advise (feel free to ignore if you have done them before).

Since croissants are a laminated dough the most important part is how you work in the butter, you can't let it melt. It's the solid butter incorporated into the dough in sheets that allows the flaky texture once it's cooked. It's the same as danish's (omg homemade danishes are amazing). Make sure you keep it WELL chilled at all times, especially at this time of year. (ask me how I know lol)

Yield: 60 Rolls
Parisian Croissants

Bread Flour 2lb 4 oz
Salt 1oz
Granulated Sugar 6 oz
Milk 21 fl oz
Active Dry Yeast 1 oz
Unsalted Butter, Softened 1 lb 8 oz
Egg Wash- As Needed

1. Stir the flour, salt and sugar togetherin the bowl of a mixer fitted with a dough hook.
2. Warm the milk to approx. 90f (32c). Stir in the yeast.
3. Add the milk-and-yeast mix to the dry ingredients. Stir until combined then knead on medium speed 10 minutes.
4. Place the dough in a large floured bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in size (approx. 1 hour)
5. Prepare the butter while the dough is rising. Place the butter in an even layer between large pieces of plastic wrap and roll into a flat rectangle, approx. 8 inches x11 inches and chill.
6. After the dough has risen, punch it down. roll out the dough into a large rectangle, appox 1/2 inch thick and large enough to enclose the rectangle of butter. Place the unwrapped butter in the center of the dough and fold the dough around the butter, enclosing it completely.
7. Roll out the block of dough into a long rectangle, approx 1 inch thick. Fold the dough in thirds, a single book fold. This completes the first turn. Wrap the dough in plastic and chill approx. 20-30 minutes.
8. Repeat the rolling and folding process two more times, chilling the dough between each turn. When finished wrap the dough well and chill it overnight before shaping and baking.
9. To shape the dough into croissant rolls, cut off one-quarter of the block at a time, wrapping the rest and returning it to the fridge. Roll each quarter of dough into a large rectangle, approx. 1/4 inch thick.
10. Cut the dough into uniform triangles. STarting with the large end, roll each triangle into a crescent and place on a paper-lined sheet.
11. Brush lightly with egg wash. Proof until doubled, but do not allow the dough to become some warm that the butter melts.
12. Bake at 375f (190c) until golden brown, approx. 12-15 minutes.

Hope that helps!

steph_78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steph_78 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 5

Awesome. Thanks you both for the replies. I might have to try the homemade recipe. Thanks again.

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 5

I've had good luck with the croissant recipe (and a lot of other bread/pastry recipes, like danish) from Baking Illustrated (by America's Test Kitchen). I like that their recipes are very detailed and often include photographs for the trickier steps. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%