Gumpaste Questions

Decorating By ohayr639 Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 4:23am by ohayr639

ohayr639 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 8

Any and all info you can give on gumpaste would be appreciated especially on how to make. I bought the Wilton mix that you just add water too and it seemed to not be enough water and it was never to the consistency to knead it like dough. . . icon_sad.gif

7 replies
cherrycakes Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:03pm
post #2 of 8

I have never been able to get the Wilton mix to work for me. I usually use the premade Wilton but many decorators make their own using Nick Lodges Gumpaste recipe. You can find it in the recipe section. Or, you can add tylose powder to fondant as well.

MrsNancyB1 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 8

Tylose added to fondant is what I do too. It works like a charm everytime, and is much cheaper than buying Wilton gumpaste.

HTH.

ohayr639 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks so much. . . I am not a full time caker so I have a hard time finding time to make fondant but when I do I will try that.

DollyCakes Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 8

There is a gumpaste recipe on the back of the Wilton Tylose and Glucose jars. It works great - never had a problem with it and it's really simple to make.

sweetbaker1019 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:47am
post #6 of 8

i use Nicholas Lodges recipe! I love it! its very easy to work with and alot cheaper then the wilton stuff! ill never use another gum paste recipe! icon_biggrin.gif

Teekakes Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:59am
post #7 of 8

Tonedna has a great video on how to make gumpaste! I highly recommend all of her videos......She is very clear and precise in her direction and shows items well.

Here is the link to her gumpaste video

ohayr639 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 4:23am
post #8 of 8

Thank you all so much! Great ideas. I did a safari baby cake but used modeling chocolate. . . It worked well but I need something that will dry. The video looks good too, at least from what I can see.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%