To Central Nj Bakers: Business Idea

Business By NJCakeDiva Updated 21 Aug 2009 , 4:47pm by PinkZiab

NJCakeDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NJCakeDiva Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 8

Hello to my NJ CC members:

I am new to CC and have found alot of great information on this website icon_biggrin.gif . I see that there are alot of talented individuals and aspiring business owners. I was truly saddened icon_cry.gif to find out that in NJ it is not legal to operate a home based cake decorating business. So, I followed the information directed by many to call my local health department and get information on how to go about having a legal business. Well, here in Essex County you have to operate in a seperate commercial kitchen. This can be licensed and in the name of another local business/organization as long as the inspection is up to code. I was told that all I needed to do in this case is to get a food handlers license through a 3hr class at the local department of health (they are booked until October icon_cry.gif ).

I would like to take this route for now, but I'm not sure if the cost would be worth it (saw a posting for space that costs 1850 a month + utilities). I still have 2 full-time jobs (9-5 and the kids) so I can not use a space all day but would be willing to share.

My question(s) to all my nj bakers is 1.) Have any of you gotten this same information when researching this in NJ? 2.) Have any of you who are in the same area ever thought about sharing a commercial rental space to offset the rental amount?

Just thought I would put this out there and see what happens

7 replies
cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 8

Have you looked at other places in your area that may offer the course? It took some digging around, but I found that my local community college is offering the course during the fall semester. In addition, I found a local university is also offering the course. However, unlike the community college, this is offered full time for 2 weeks. That wouldnt work for me because I work full-time.

Have you been successful in finding commercial kitchens for rent in your area? That may be the way to go for now if your orders are going to be sporadic.

NJCakeDiva Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 8

Just started doing the research. I have been reading the thread about becoming a legal business and would like to within the next year. NJ commercial kitchen space seems limited but I am going to think "outside of the box". As health department rep said as long as the space is health inspected certified, and i get my license everything would be fine. I will check with local college to see if they offer the class.

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 8

Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif Make sure you keep us posted!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 8

My only question is: When did Essex County become Central NJ??? lol

NJCakeDiva Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:13pm
post #6 of 8

To PinkZiab:

That was an an error! Thanks for pointing out that I'm a geography dope icon_lol.gif

Best Wishes- LOL right with you

NJCakeDiva Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 4:03pm
post #7 of 8

It was supposed to say To Cake Central NJ Bakers LOL! I can see why you said that. I totally didn't notice until today. I was questioning all NJ at home bakers. Thanks for pointing that out icon_biggrin.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 4:47pm
post #8 of 8

hehehe... no worries.. I just couldn't resist... besides, we all know that Central NJ is just a myth created by people who don't want to admit they're really from South Jersey (lol).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%