Please Help...confused Kind Of Filling Cake...

Decorating By janet2009 Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 8:33pm by grams

janet2009 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 5:35pm
post #1 of 15

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie in cake decorating. I just finish my Wilton cake decorating course couple of months. I was reading macsmom gourmet flavor forum for 3 days and im confused what kind of filling and flavor i will make for my 1st wedding cake i will be making. It's my brother in law's wedding next month and he wanted a chocolate cake and a white cake. After reading all your discussions i think i will make the WASC white cake by Macsmom and chocolate fudge cake. Now, i need your help or suggestions to what is the best and deliscious cake FILLING i'm gonna use for the WASC white cake and the chocolate fudge cake. Please help is on sept. 19 , 2009. Oh more ...i will use fondant to cover the cake.
Thank you ....

14 replies
debster Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 15

My people LOVE strawberry or raspberry with the white cake. As for the chocolate, oreo cookies smashed in your icing or ganache is GOOD!!!! Possiblilities are ENDLESS. Good luck!! Post a picture for us.

alanaj Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 15

I second debster on the raspberry with white cake. I am not a huge chocolate eater but ironically I LOVE a yummy chocolate cake with chocolate ganache filling. Yum yum yum.

kakeladi Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 15

My suggestion is raspberry for bothicon_smile.gif
It is such a personal decision. What are their likes?
Want to go *ALL* chocolate? Use a thick choco fudge filling or a light spread of raspberry jam topped w/choco buttercream.
Other choices could be: For the white: lemon; chocolate; cookies & cream (as above).
For the chocolate: lemon, strawberry, bavarian cream, Nutella, or even orange.

miny Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:25pm
post #5 of 15

I love chocolate ganache, raspberry, mocha, strawberry and the best part is that it goes with both chocolate and white cake!

janet2009 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 15

Ok guys....thank you very much for your quick reply to my post. They want me to decide what filling i'm gonna use, so i might go with what you've just suggested...raspberry filling for white cake and chocolate ganache for chocolate cake. I am trying to find a raspberry cake filling recipe in here but i can't find it. Would you mind sharing to me your raspberry filling recipe? I would appreciate it...i will post my 1st wedding cake pics here by sept. 2009.

Again...thank you guys for replying.....god bless

flourpowerMN Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:51pm
post #7 of 15

This was the first raspberry filling I tried & I don't think I'll need to search for another's great!

It could easily be halved and/or doubled. Full recipe makes about 3 cups. For me, that is enough for 2 layers of filling on a 9" cake.

Don't forget to do an icing dam around the edge of the layers so the filling doesn't squish out. This also adds some stability to the cake.

tracey1970 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:54pm
post #8 of 15

There are lots of raspberry and strawberry filling recipes on here. However, some are mousses, and if you are covering the cake in fondant and leaving it sitting out at a wedding, you may not want a mousse filling due to refrigeration issues. I have used both these fillings before with much success and without any leakage into the cake.

janet2009 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:58pm
post #9 of 15

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:51 am Post subject:

This was the first raspberry filling I tried & I don't think I'll need to search for another's great!

Hi flourpowerMn....

I can't find your recipe in it in the recipe section ?

janet2009 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 7:02pm
post #10 of 15

Wow...awesome response ! thank you are very helpful and supportive...thanks Tracey.....i got it! icon_biggrin.gif

hensor Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 7:29pm
post #11 of 15

flourpower - thanks for the info on the raspberry filling. I am using that for a work cake tomorrow and am glad to hear it tastes so good icon_smile.gif

PuffCake Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 8:07pm
post #12 of 15

For raspberry, I just use seedless raspberry preserves and it's delicious with either white or chocolate cake. It's also great mixed half and half with buttercream. When I use a dark filling like raspberry with a light color cake like white or yellow, I always spread a very thin layer of white buttercream over the top of the bottom layer and the bottom of the top layer before adding the filling so it doesn't soak into and discolor the cake. It acts as a barrier and the cake looks better when sliced.

janet2009 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 8:13pm
post #13 of 15

flourMn.....i got it...thank you!

I'm excited to make my first wedding cake. You guys are so encouraging....i have just order from some Lorann flovor oils. icon_biggrin.gif thank ya'll....

janet2009 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 8:16pm
post #14 of 15

Great idea Puffcake...thanks

grams Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 8:33pm
post #15 of 15

I like the raspberry, strawberry, or lemon flavor for the white cake. For the chocolate fudge cake I use Bavarian cream or cherry filling. I buy the ready made fillings in a sleeve at the cake supply store and have had no complaints whatsoever about any of them plus it is so easy that way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%