Economy

Lounge By pikevillemom Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 7:31pm by pikevillemom

pikevillemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pikevillemom Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 15

icon_cry.gifIs anyone else out there having problems with the economy the way it is. I am 50 years old, have worked 2 jobs most of my adult life. I am now only working 1 job. It just seems that the harder I try to save money and cut back the worst it gets. I have been divorced for 17 years. No child support or any help. I feel like a failure because at my age I should have so much more and be better off money wise. I live pay check to pay check. I can pay my bills but there is nothing left and i mean nothing. Anyone have any suggestions or know where to look for a part time job. I am in North Carolina
Thanks for any help

14 replies
Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:21pm
post #2 of 15

I can't offer any help but I can sympathize. My husband is a carpenter and on the last day of this month will have been laid off for A YEAR. Just when we think we can't cut back any further, we find something else we have to go without just to feed & clothe our three kids. There's no other way to put it: This economy just plain old SUCKS!

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 15

yeah I hear you guys ... you know Michigan suffered for quite a few years before the economy really hit the rest of the states. Now you got big mouth hot shots saying the economy is finally coming out of it's recession. Well here in Michigan that feels like a slap in our face! We are a long shot from coming out of recession!

mandymomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymomof3 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 15

Yes, I can sympathize. Just got off my online banking account to make sure the bills get paid. I guess I could go without internet, but yikes!!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 8:08pm
post #5 of 15

We were looking forward to this year being better than last...but I broke my leg and I didn't have health insurance because we couldn't afford it, since I wasn't working. So even though gas isn't quite as expensive as it was last year, we have to make a payment on my medical bills every month, which means after all the bills are paid for the month and gas and groceries bought, we have $120 left over. It's impossible to save anything because it seems like someone always need something, or the car needs a tire or something. And I can't go get a job because everything I've always done requires standing up all day and I can't stand up more than an hour without needing to sit down for a few hours to recover.

It's better than last year though, between gas and our outrageous electric bills, we barely had money for food.

pikevillemom Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 15

thanks everyone, I dont feel like such a failure now. At least I know that everyone is having problems but maybe it will get better soon.

THANKS

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 8:19pm
post #7 of 15

Yes..I hear you as well...Although the economy is not nearly as bad here in Canada as the US...we still feel the crunch.We too live paycheck to paycheck with nothing leftover after the mortgage and bills are paid.The one good thing and I thank god for... is here in Canada....healthcare is paid for through the government and our taxes.There is no such things as medical bills unless you are having elective,cosmetic surgery which is not covered.Any hospital visits.Dr. visits are paid for through Alberta Healthcare.I really feel for the US citizens everytime I hear of a medical bill for hundreds and thousands of dollars for their sick child etc...Ludacris!! You are not alone...Everyone is feeling the crunch and I guess all we can do is hope we all get through it..Hope you have some sort of a job...housing etc...

TheCakerator Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 10:04pm
post #8 of 15

insurance?? Whats that?? I haven't had medical insurance in years simply because we can't afford it. My dh gets his free through his work, but to add me on it is 100.00 a WEEK .. well, that adds up to our house payment, and having a roof over our head ranks pretty high in priorities.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 5:55am
post #9 of 15

We have insurance or at least we pay for it biweekly, doesn't feel much like insurance. With a $350 deductible per person per year (six of us) we are pretty much using it for emergencies only.

Preventative health? What's that?

But, you are not alone.

Have you thought about going back to school? It's never too late. If you are struggling, I am sure you could get financial aid. Most colleges offer internet courses, weekend classes, even classes, etc. for those that work full time.

Good luck.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:05pm
post #10 of 15

If you feel real bad I'll swap houses with ya, 2500 sq feet 4 bd room, 3 bath. OOPS I forgot to tell ya it's in Michigan. How's this for bad? Go from making over 100 a yr to 20 a yr. I actually made more money on unemployment than I do working.

That's my cheery story LOLOL icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:39pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakerator

insurance?? Whats that?? I haven't had medical insurance in years simply because we can't afford it. My dh gets his free through his work, but to add me on it is 100.00 a WEEK .. well, that adds up to our house payment, and having a roof over our head ranks pretty high in priorities.

Depending on your income, your county might have a program where you can get health care. Not Medicaid...the income limits for that unless you're preggo are something like $400 a month. What I had to get on was a county program here. We're paying $100 a month for the next 4 years, which is what they determined we were liable for out of the $40,000 plus that my leg surgery was. I can go to the doctor when I need to with no copay and prescriptions are $10. The bad thing is that we can't move out of the county before the 4 years are up or we're stuck with the entire bill, not just the percentage that they looked at our income and said we had to pay.

TheCakerator Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:39pm
post #12 of 15

michigan sucks ... icon_cry.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:18pm
post #13 of 15

.............michigan sucks ... Crying or Very sad...............

North central IN (Elkhart county) isn't any better! icon_sad.gif

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:44pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Yes..I hear you as well...Although the economy is not nearly as bad here in Canada as the US...we still feel the crunch.We too live paycheck to paycheck with nothing leftover after the mortgage and bills are paid.The one good thing and I thank god for... is here in Canada....healthcare is paid for through the government and our taxes.There is no such things as medical bills unless you are having elective,cosmetic surgery which is not covered.Any hospital visits.Dr. visits are paid for through Alberta Healthcare.I really feel for the US citizens everytime I hear of a medical bill for hundreds and thousands of dollars for their sick child etc...Ludacris!! You are not alone...Everyone is feeling the crunch and I guess all we can do is hope we all get through it..Hope you have some sort of a job...housing etc...

We have been blessed...the only way the recession has effected us is that my husband missed out on a higher paid position because the company he was moving to ended up laying people off. He still had his current job though, so things never really changed for us, we just weren't able to "improve" ourselves any more. As for the healthcare thing, I am thankful too! I work in the finance department at our hospital and I send the bills out, its a sad thing that U.S. citizens actually make the drive into Canada (I live close to a border town) to have babies and such because even though we charge a higher "non resident" fee it is still less than in their home country.

In Canada, they have officially announced the recession as over...I am hoping the situation improves for our southern neighbors soon! I hope it just makes people realize not to take things for granted.

pikevillemom Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 7:31pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks everybody. I have a 2500.00 det on my insurance before it pays anything. I dont pay my insurance my boss does but with that det I cant go to the dr because I cant afford the office visit. I hope things get better for everyone and thanks so much for listening.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%