How Many Batches Of Icing Do You Make

Decorating By kaddikakes Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 9:01pm by DollyCakes

kaddikakes Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 6

Since I'm still new to this . . . I was wondering how many batches of icing do you make when making let's say one 9" round cake? Reason I'm asking is because it seems that you need stiff and medium for decorating and thin for icing. And when I would finish icing the cake I don't have enough to mix for my decorating. Just wondering.

5 replies
NatiMF30 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 6

I have a chart (many online) that says a 9" 2 layer from 2" deep pan would need 4 1/2 cups to ice and decorate 2 layers. depending on how you plan to use it you can adjust from here. Most of my recipes make 3-4 cups so I'd probably make a double just to be sure. HTH.

brincess_b Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 6

depends entirely on your recipe! one recipe might do a 7 inch, a different one might be enough for a 12 inch. most recipes should tell you what they will cover, then you can figure out if you need to half or double it etc.
also, as you go, keep a note of which recipes with which measurements you used, and how much you got done with it.
as you go along, you can thin by adding liquid (milk, water....) or stiffen by adding more icing sugar.
i will sometimes divide the batch too. so a small bit will fill the cake, a bigger portion will ice the cake, two portions in different colours will decorate. although my recipe is easy enough to just whip up another small batch anyway.

Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 6

I have 2 kitchenaid mixers..a 4.5 and a 6 quart so I make 2 batches each which gives me 2 giant bowls of icing which will ice about 6-8 cakes.I always have that many going out anyhow so I have to make alot.

debster Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 5:17pm
post #5 of 6

I agree with Kiddiekakes I have a 4-5-6 quart and always make double batches and make 2-3 bowls at a time , but I do Wedding cakes more than regular cakes and those take a LOT of icing. I say it's trial and error for each of us. Always take the extra and keep it in a large container to make BLACK!!!!

DollyCakes Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 6

I have big Pampered Chef bowls that will hold almost 4 batches of Sugarshack's icing recipe (it's a big recipe!) so whenever we're making icing, we just make enough to fill those bowls. We use my 6qt. KA Pro and it fits her recipe pretty well. It's so nice when we already have icing made up and don't have to worry about that step in the process. We do that with MMF, too, usually a few batches at a time so we have it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%