Romanian Flag With A 1970S Twist Birithday Cake

Decorating By mrswendel Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 5:29pm by brincess_b

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 5

Hi All,

I have to do a 30th birthday cake for Saturday with the Romanian flag (red, yellow and blue vertical stripes), however they want to have a 1970s twist to the cake.

I've looked up the 70s for inspiration and found disco, pet rocks and platform shoes, but I'm having a hard time visualizing this one.

any ideas out there? TIA

4 replies
mrswendel Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 5

bump

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 5

could you have the flag covering the cake, but split up like disco squares, and a figure or two dancing?
if its a tierd cake, maybe have the bottom one striped (thinking vertically, but maybe horizontally would be more flag like), top one with a image of a couple of disco dancers round it or something 70's.
im sur eif you look for 70s in the gallery, there will be loads.
the key question is how flag like does the flag have to be, or can you just use the colours - like retro dots are fairly 70's style.
xx

mrswendel Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 5:22pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks brincess_b. It's just going to a single tier - by their choice.....I would have preferred to do a tiered cake....more options that way!
They want the flag to be a flag...which if the problem. I've looked at the galleries and there are lots with peace signs, smiley faces and disco balls....just having a hard time getting an image in my head that will look adult and male.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 5

you could go traditional sheet cakey. white icing, rectangle of flag in the middle. then little smilies, peace signs and yin yang signs round the sides, or border of the flag.
its a pretty tricky one to mix, cause a flag is a flag. unless there was a random 70s version, you are a bit stumped!
you could have 70's figures holding the flag - or using it as a blanket, at a festival type camp fire - but then maybe that depends if the guy ever did anything like that!
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%