Anyone Ever Have A Problem With Sticky Black Satin Ice?

Decorating By sugarMomma Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 9:52pm by DollyCakes

sugarMomma Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 21

Just got some yesterday, and it is ultra sticky. Sticks all over my hands, my silicone mat, everywhere. Can I salvage this somehow?
Is it related to being delivered on a 100 degree day?

20 replies
all4cake Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 21

OOOOOOOOOOOOOh I want to know. I ordered some yesterday 'cause I didn't want to mess with making it.

allycatt Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:27pm
post #3 of 21

OOOOOO...I want to know too. icon_lol.gif Waiting for a delivery today on some black Satin Ice....and it's about 95 degrees here.

Megandme Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 21

I used it for the first time last night and thought maybe I had misread all the information about it being easy to work with. I found it very soft and sticky. I posted earlier this morning about my piece sticking to the sugared surface it's drying on.

hensor Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 21

Never had a problem with Satin Ice...but don't think I'll order Fondarific again...
Have you tried to refridgerate it for a while to see if it helps?

Lenette Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:31pm
post #6 of 21

The last bucket I got was sticky too! I just used more powdered sugar and it was fine. Just have to be a bit more mindful of it that's all. icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 21

I have some and it was ordered during the hot season. I picked it up on my way to work and I lugged that 50# box into work with me 'cause I din want it cooking in my car all day.

It's sticky & soft but I'm ok with that.

all4cake Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:50pm
post #8 of 21

not that I need 50lbs of black Satin Ice fondant but, where does one get a 50lb box of black Satin Ice fondant?

live2create Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:52pm
post #9 of 21

Never had a problem with Satin Ice...but don't think I'll order Fondarific again...
Hensor, why didn't you like the Fondrific, I really like the taste but just like the Satin Ice I kinda find it hard to work with but then I am kinda new to fondant.

-K8memphis Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:56pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

not that I need 50lbs of black fondant but, where does one get a 50lb box of black fondant?

I got it from Gordon foods, food purveyor, here in Elvistown 10C.

No no no it was 20 pounds--so sorry, I was thinking 10 5# packages but no it was 10 TWO pound containers. Duh on me--twenny pounds.

Twenty not fifty. icon_redface.gif

all4cake Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:04pm
post #11 of 21

oic, like a case pack...I was thinking a giant cube...like shortening...

-K8memphis Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:42pm
post #12 of 21

I got a big block of white though--twenty pounds or 50# or whatever it was. That's kinda fun.

And for what it's worth-- I tried the (white) Massa Grischuna the American blend I believe it was--exceptional fondant. Brilliant. From Albert Uster

It was on sale!

Loucinda Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 5:04pm
post #13 of 21

K8 - where did you get the Albert Uster from? Was that from GFS??

-K8memphis Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 5:19pm
post #14 of 21

I ordered from Albert Uster themselves--When I try to go to www.auiswiss.com I never get the page but when I google Albert Uster I get there. Go figure.

And it was on sale this summer but I din see it on sale anymore.

But it is the bombshabomb.

Although I like the Satin Ice too.

Most anything but Wilton's huh.

sugarMomma Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 5:24pm
post #15 of 21

I guess I will try adding powdered sugar but not looking forward to it. It is so sticky and my hands turn black!
I played with a little of it last night and it dried a strange consistency. I made two mini-microphones for an Elvis figurine I am working on, one straight fondant and the other a 50/50 mix. I let them dry overnight and the fondant only one pulverized in my hands. The fondant/gumpaste one broke easily too. I hope this will not be a problem. No time to make any (and I hate making dark colors, hence the order) and a new order won't get here on time unless it's overnight. Ching ching.

I sent a message to GSA to see if they had a solution, just seeing if anyone else had a similiar problem or advice.

-K8memphis Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 5:29pm
post #16 of 21

I always add some cornstarch if I'm modeling.

LynnZClaire Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 5:31pm
post #17 of 21

Don't add PS, that may just make it even more sticky...and it may dull the dark black down.

Mine was sticky too!! Stuck to EVERYTHING!! I just let it sit out for a little bit and it firmed right up, kind of dried just a bit and now it works great icon_smile.gif

LynnZClaire Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 5:31pm
post #18 of 21

Don't add PS, that may just make it even more sticky...and it may dull the dark black down.

Mine was sticky too!! Stuck to EVERYTHING!! I just let it sit out for a little bit and it firmed right up, kind of dried just a bit and now it works great icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 7:11pm
post #19 of 21

I usually have to knead some tylose into the Satin Ice black. Sometimes the red, too. After kneading, let it rest for several hours or overnight. It will be firmer and easier to work with.

all4cake Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 9:37pm
post #20 of 21

I know I benefitted from this thread! Thanks to the OP and all of the posters!

DollyCakes Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 9:52pm
post #21 of 21

I notice that all heavily colored fondant is way stickier than just white or lightly colored - even the MMF that we make. I guess you just have to add powdered sugar or cornstarch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%