How Far In Advance Can I Complete A Cake?

Decorating By kikster Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 2:28pm by kikster

kikster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikster Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 7

I have my first wedding this weekend. All the cakes are baked and in the freezer. The wedding is on Sat., and I am wondering when I can start decorating. I am getting antsy, and considered, thawing everything for the groom's cake tomorrow, and icing and finishing it. It is a 2 tier chocolate cake. Would the cake be ok refrigerated from Thur. until Sat? I just want to get something done...ha!!

ALSO, when you thaw your cakes, do you thaw them with the plastic on?

6 replies
MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 7

I'm assuming it's a fondant covered cake...is that right?

If so, you can thaw your cakes out today (Wednesday) then fill, crumbcoat, and then cover with fondant. Then you can carefully work on your decorations Thursday and Friday and the cake will be ready to go on Saturday.

If it's a fondant covered cake, I wouldn't refrigerate it. It will keep well for the next couple of days if left at room temperature.

Also, when thawing out my cakes, I thaw them with the plastic wrap and foil still on them. This will lock in the moisture. If you remove all the wrapping, then you lose some of the moisture to evaporation.

HTH.

kikster Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 7

Actually, both the bride and grooms cake are both buttercream.

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 7

Well in that case you can refrigerate your cake. I personally like to leave 2 days to decorate, and that way I'm not rushed and I can take my time doing it.

So you can still stick with the above timeline IMO...

hensor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hensor Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 7

Good Luck on your first wedding cake..I'm sure it will be great. Make sure you post pictures when your done. icon_smile.gif

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:23pm
post #6 of 7

I'm making my sons bday cake this Saturday. I took my cakes out of the freezer last night. I plan of filling and crumbcoating today, covering with fondant (in your case ice with buttercream) tonight and/or in the morning and decorating Friday and Saturday morning. I think this is a good timeline (I gave it a lot of thought). I think a lot of cakes sit out for even longer due to the amount of detail going into them. Good luck!

kikster Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:28pm
post #7 of 7

Well I have just taken all of the cakes out of the deep freeze. My goal is to have all of them crumcoated today, and probably iced as well. I know when I make a cake for my family, it is fresh and delicious for days and days, and would last even longer if we didn't cut it. So I am sure they will still be yummy on Sat. I am just so stressed because it is a wedding, and I want it to be perfect.

Either way, I need to get started, so HERE WE GO!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%