Sticky Black Satin Ice...

Decorating By sugarMomma Updated 5 Nov 2009 , 6:20pm by katev17

sugarMomma Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 12

Just received your order, thank you for the quick shipment! .

The gumpaste and rest of the shipment are fine, but I find the black Satin Ice fondant to be really sticky. I mean REALLY sticky.
It sticks to my hands, my silicone mat, my marble slab, everything. Is this normal and what can I do?
I bought it because I need to cover a cake in it and I am not looking forward to rolling it out or kneading it. I only worked with a small amount to make a tiny microphone for a figurine and it dried funny. Almost like it crusted on the outside and felt hollow on the inside. When I tried to poke tiny holes in the top of the microphone with a safety pin it disintegrated. I'm kinda scared this cake is being picked up Friday, Saturday at latest.

I thought maybe the heat during delivery may have affected it? The gumpaste works great..

Can I salvage it somehow?

11 replies
Kimmers971 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:20pm
post #2 of 12

You might want to sign onto GSA and send this through the contact us link - just incase it isn't viewed here fast enough. Or call since you need this item for an order.

Good Luck!

PS: I did notice the colored Satin Ice is a bit stickier than the white, but not what you are describing so maybe it is a faulty batch.

sugarMomma Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks, I did what you recommended. I have bought other Satin Ice colors, and they were not at all like this. Blue was fine, but I have never ordered black...or in August.

AXOCutie143 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 12:37am
post #4 of 12

I recently bought red Satin Ice and it was just as you described, super SUPER sticky. I wonder if it is certain colors?

__Jamie__ Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 12:49am
post #5 of 12

I hate, with a passion, black Satin Ice. I airbrush mine when I have to. Come to think of it, I generally dislike Satin Ice period, and yes tha awful stickiness. It gets crackly. MFF never does that to me. Wilton (not that I eat it, it's just for dummies) never does that. MMF never did it when I used to make it. What gives? I know how to work fondant, I know what I'm supposed to do to prep it, I know what happens when you overwork it.....I really don't think I'm doing anything wrong.

ApplegumKitchen Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 7:59pm
post #6 of 12

We don't get Satin Ice here in Australia and the only pre-coloured fondant we can get is red, black and green. Brand we have is CakeArt and it is revolting on its own - YES its sticky too ... but we have found that if you mix 50/50 of this pre-coloured and our Bakels normal white fondant - that it improves the workability 150% - without really affecting the colour. If it does, you only need to add a minimal amount of extra colour to bring it back.

Thought maybe this tip might help with your problems

Horselady Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 3:29pm
post #7 of 12

I never have issues with satin ice (and now that I've said that I will, lol...) but it always comes out smooth and pretty, none of this elephant skin others are talking about, or any other issues, and it has always been easier for me to work with than MMF... Can't wait to get my batch of black satin ice to see for myself...But to me, MMF is the one that gets elephant-ish on me. Probably because of how I have to roll it... I've tried to do it on crisco but then it has too much shine...

Peridot Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 3:45pm
post #8 of 12

Please share with us how your roll your Satin Ice. Would like to know what your technique is so that you do not get elephant skin, etc. I am new to SI - have been using Pettinice.

Appreciate your help.

Horselady Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 4:47pm
post #9 of 12

I guess I roll it out normally? Lol. I usually put PS down or corn starch then roll with a wooden rolling pin. It always stays silky smooth. I'm pretty sure I've never used crisco with it, but I only make a few cakes that I'm willing to buy SI for so I don't use it often. Hth

cakecircus Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 3:47am
post #10 of 12

In regards to the Satin Ice - I guess with the large amount of colour needed to make it black, it does make it too sticky - I did add more powdered sugar while kneeding it in hopes of making it less tacky....I found I got the elephant skin look so I made it look like leather by applying some handmade "tapestry" nailheads. I have used the white version with no problems. It does not taste fantastic, but is heaps better than Wilton (can't believe that it is edible, it's the most disgusting thing I have ever tasted)

AlanT Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 5:44pm
post #11 of 12

I spoke to Kevin O'Reilly, the owner of Satin Ice regarding the sticky fondant issue. Here is his reply:

"The black and red fondants do tend to become a little softer when left in the heat for prolonged amounts of time. Both these products do contain higher levels of color and while it is not necessary to refrigerate for long periods it is best to store in a cool storage room.

Now that we are entering a cooler time of year this should not be a prevalent issue for you. I am also addressing this issue with our production manager and will run some tests and seek to stiffen the product a little to eliminate this problem occurring in the future."

Hopefully the problem will be eliminated by next summer. Alan

katev17 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 6:20pm
post #12 of 12

I know this thread is a little bit older now, but just thought I'd chuck my 2 cents in.

I actually used both the black and red SI this week just past. I didn't find the black to be sticky, but I did have some cracks appear (luckily I was making a Halloween cake, so where I had one noticeable crack I put a zombie hand coming out of the "ground"!). The red SI was fine, and actually had a REALLY nice finish to it (smooth and quite matte). This was my first time working with SI, as we don't get it here in Ottawa so I ordered it from Toronto.

Thank you for looking into the issues, Alan!

Quote by @%username% on %date%