Putting Gel On A Cake

Decorating By vincenta Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 8:43pm by vincenta

vincenta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vincenta Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:12pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a beach scene cake for my sonand I made my own gel from a recipe on this site - thanks , it really works well. Not sure if I should cover the section of the cake (the sea) with blue butter cream as a crumb coat before pouring on the gel. Also when I warm the gel up, I am not sure what the consistency it should be to pour on that section - too runny and it will surely be a mess!!
Thanks for all the wonderful tips and advice this site provides for us newbies.

2 replies
backermeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
backermeister Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 3

hi. you probably would want to use some bc otherwise it will be gel just sitting on the cake. you could even color the bc with a deeper blue and kinda swirl it for a deeper effect. if you are using something similar to piping gel than you really do not need to heat. just place in a disposable piping bag and pipe in the area you need and spread it with a small angled spatula. if you want to get fancy you can even pull up wave peaks with the back of a spoon and ice the tips (caps) with some white royal or bc icing. i always love that effect. good luck thumbs_up.gif

vincenta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vincenta Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoseley

hi. you probably would want to use some bc otherwise it will be gel just sitting on the cake. you could even color the bc with a deeper blue and kinda swirl it for a deeper effect. if you are using something similar to piping gel than you really do not need to heat. just place in a disposable piping bag and pipe in the area you need and spread it with a small angled spatula. if you want to get fancy you can even pull up wave peaks with the back of a spoon and ice the tips (caps) with some white royal or bc icing. i always love that effect. good luck thumbs_up.gif

Thanks for the tips... I was thinking of putting a blue undercoat of bc and now I will be able to make waves too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%