Covering Cake Board With Fondant

Decorating By Jan14grands Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 6:48pm by Jan14grands

Jan14grands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jan14grands Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 11:34am
post #1 of 9

I've seen so many pretty cakes with the board covered with fondant and I want to try it, but don't have a clue how to do it. Can anyone on the great site help me out? Thanks! icon_smile.gif

8 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:26pm
post #2 of 9

I don't have a site/video link for you but I have done it and it is pretty easy. I use sturdy board. I have used mirror, masonite, and foamcore over masonite for thickness and all have worked.
Roll out your fondant to an even thickness less then 1/4 inch-what you are comfortable rolling and working with. Roll fondant a coupple inches bigger then your board. Stlightly moisten your board. I use a damp towel to barely moisten the board. Lay your fondant onto your board. Smooth your fondant flat onto the board with your fondant smoother. Use a smoother to go around the edge of your board at about a 45' angle. Around and around and around. It will cut the fondant exactly to your board and smooth the edge at the same time. Trim edge of board with ribbon...ect And you are ready to lay your cake on it. Use a bit of icing to glue your cake to the fondant surface.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:33pm
post #3 of 9

I use even the drums for cakes, wet them and roll the fondant just like I would for a cake. Put on the board and cut the sides
Edna icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:48pm
post #4 of 9

I do it a little bit differently...I use foamcore and I roll the fondant directly on the dry foamcore board. Just roll to the edges of the board and off a little bit, and as the rolling pin goes past the board it smooths and trims the edge. Then glue a ribbon around the edge when you're done.

You can also use stamps to make impressions on the fondant...rubber stamps mounted on wood are not food safe, but my cake goes on another board on top of the decorated board, so I figure it's all right to use them on the cake board. Here's an example, where I used stamps and then painted over the impressions with silver airbrush color (with a paintbrush, I don't have an airbrush)

Jan14grands Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 9

Ok, thanks to everyone! I think I get it now icon_smile.gif I still do my cakes with buttercream, so can I put that onto a fondant board, or should I try a fondant cake for that?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:12pm
post #6 of 9

You can put a buttercream cake on a fondant board.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:35pm
post #7 of 9

I have done it in buttercream too..Let it dry well..
Edna icon_smile.gif

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:39pm
post #8 of 9

Just as a quick tip, since the PP's did a great job of explaining how to get a smooth surface, I like using RI for the board too. If you make your RI a flooding consistancy, I place my board on a cooling rack over the sink and pour the icing on top of my board and then spread it around with a spatula. Allow to dry for a couple of days and it is as hard as a rock. Perfectly smooth, and ready for any kind of cake to go on top.

If you want to re-use the board, a parchement paper round underneath the RI will allow you to remove the RI without damaging the board or chipping away at it forever.

Jan14grands Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:48pm
post #9 of 9

Ok, then I will give it a try with buttercream. And, wow, who would have thought to use royal icing!!? I would think that would be great also. I've wondered how far ahead to cover the board with fondant, because if you didn't let it dry some, anything that touched it, including fingers, would mark it all to pieces.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%