Teaching Rate(S)?

Decorating By patooty70 Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 2:09pm by Jayde

patooty70 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 11:00am
post #1 of 4

Hi there!

I've never had this request before...a person whom I work with approached me & asked if I would like to teach her 10 yrs old daughter how to bake. I would go to her house for the lessons, use my cake pans & other equipment but have her supply all the ingredients.

So, I have absolutely no idea how much I should charge her for the lessons. Has anyone done this or have any suggestions?

3 replies
cylstrial Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 11:17am
post #2 of 4

Someone had a thread on this a few months ago. The only thing that was different was that she was teaching a bunch of teenage girls, instead of just one.

Good luck! It sounds fun!

costumeczar Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 12:28pm
post #3 of 4

I'd just think of an hourly rate, then have them provide all of the ingredients. That way you're getting paid strictly on time, not consumables that you have to provide and account for. And don't charge them $5 an hour, either! Kids' cooking classes run $60 for two hours around here, and even thought that includes materials, it works out to about $15-$20 an hour for the teachers.

Jayde Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 4

Our community college offers cokking classes for kids. They start at $60 and go up from there, the most expensive being $140 for about 1-3 hours long. The cheaper classes have titles like Learn how to make a PB and J the right way which is a sandwich making class for 5 year olds all the way to Cajun Cuisine or Cooking Thai which is geared more towards 12 year olds.

I imagine the different in the price is mostly due to ingredients cost and time. The little kids sandwich class is only an hour-ish long. The older kids have about 2 and a half hours with more expensive ingredients.

Check out a local college or youth center in your area for cooking classes for kids. Try to base your prices off of this.

Also, one thing to consider, are you teaching her how to bake? Or how to bake and decorate? Or just how to decorate? Now just how to bake I could see doing that for about $10-$15 an hour. BUT! If you are teaching a 10 year old how to bake and decorate? You would have to be paying me more like $25 an hour. I would clarify things with mom first before you start thinking about pricing.

I have had issues with people calling what I do just baking, when in fact I am baking, leveling, layering, and decorating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%