Ruffle Borders?? Please Help..

Decorating By sbarauskas Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 10:06pm by HamSquad

sbarauskas Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 5:45am
post #1 of 5

I can't seem to find any info on how to make ruffle borders, I want the kind that are fluffy,if that makes sense. I would love to know how to do them for my daugthers bday but don't have a clue. Any help would be amazing. Thanks

4 replies
xstitcher Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:42am
post #2 of 5

Is this what your thinking of?

HamSquad Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:43am
post #3 of 5

The ruffle borders that you are in question of, are you trying to make them from fondant or pipe them in BC on the cake or are you trying to buy ruffles to attach to cake boards?

sbarauskas Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 5

I'm wanting fondant ruffles. I found a picture online of a cake someone did and the ruffles are amazing. Almost look like ruffles from a dress. I posted 2 pics of cakes that have them. Any help would be great. Thanks

HamSquad Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 10:06pm
post #5 of 5

Just a suggestion of how I would attempt this would be to roll out the fondant 1 1/2 to 2 inches wider than the bottom cake. In order for it to hold its shape you might want to knead a little tylose, me I use gumtex, in the fondant. I would take a dusted cake board the size of the top cake and slightly press it, make sure it is centered and there is an equal 2 Inch or whatever size border. Lift off the cake board, ruffle by putting dusted cotton ball or gauze every so many inches around to give the ruffle effect. Most important let sit and air dry for at least 3 to 5 minutes to hold its shape, for each ruffle layer. After dry and stiff gently stack each layer on cake, using a vanilla extract or alcohol or fondant adhesive to hold the circles part of the ruffles together. I'm sure someone has a easier way to do this, so this is just a suggestion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%