Not Sure If It's How To As Much As How Come. . .

Decorating By ohayr639 Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 11:58am by -K8memphis

ohayr639 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:57am
post #1 of 6

I made a ten inch and 8 inch round cake in the Wilton pans and both cakes sank in the middle. . . Any ideas as to why? I had been baking at 350 but then the edges seemed to burn before the cake was finished in the middle so I turned it down to 325. . . Any ideas/advice would be great!

5 replies
kansaswolf Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 5:03am
post #2 of 6

The only reasons I usually have a cake sink is if someone jostles the stove or moves the cake pans before they're done... Opening the door too much during baking might also cause this, as well as the cakes being removed from the oven too early... I'd use bake-easy strips (or make your own with an old towel) to help the edges not overcook and give the middle time to bake the whole way.

Hope that helps!

xstitcher Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 5:23am
post #3 of 6

Did it sink while still in the oven? If so it could be because there was to much leaveners (baking soda/baking powder/yeast) in the batter. Sometimes over mixing the batter can cause a cake to fall because their are too many air pockets caused by the over mixing. Also you do not want to open the oven door too much while baking. If it sank after you pulled it out of the oven it probably wasn't cooked all the way through. It could also be because your oven was too hot or too cool (invest in an oven thermometer - there only a few bucks and well worth it). I also like to bake at 325 degrees and I usually don't check the cake until I can smell it.

I also recommend (like kansaswolf) to use bake even strips (or old towels) and wrap them around my pands. I prefer to use metal binder clips to tie the ends together. I also like using an inverted flower nail (greased) in the center of my pan to help distribute heat to the middle of my cake.

leah_s Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 12:14pm
post #4 of 6

Good answers here. Too much leavening will cause the cake to sink while still in the oven.
Taking it out of the oven before it's actually done will cause the cake to sink in the middle after it's out.
If it's jsut a wee little sink, well, you're going to be trimming off the dome, so it might not matter.

ohayr639 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 11:50am
post #5 of 6

So I hate to admit it but I am still a box caker. . . I know, I know! I am sure one day I will get good at scratch cakes but for now I want to focus on decorating. It fell while still in the oven, maybe it happen when I moved it back to put in the other cakes. Can I cook on both levels in my oven at the same time?

-K8memphis Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 11:58am
post #6 of 6

Maybe you can bake on both levels if you have convection but you sure have to be extremely careful to not jiggle the cake pans during the baking process. Cakes will certainly fall that way.

I mean I will stick in a little cake onto the bottom rack sometimes but generally no I don't bake on both levels in my non-convection oven.

But I load my oven all at once--I don't like to move the pans around during baking.

It's ok if you use mixes gazillions of us use mixes. Try not to feel bad about it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%