Fondant Or Gumpaste?

Decorating By snshin1993 Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 2:11pm by snshin1993

snshin1993 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snshin1993 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:28am
post #1 of 5

I am making an 80th birthday cake for my grandmother in October and I want to make fondant roses for the topper. My problem is that the fondant I use is beautiful for covering cakes and is very plyable and stays soft but I don't think this would work for the roses. I think it would take forever for the roses to dry. My question is do I use fondant or gumpaste? Can I mix some gumpaste into the fondant to help it set or should I just use only gumpaste?

4 replies
goddessa12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goddessa12 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:34am
post #2 of 5

I think you can mix 50/50 gumpaste and fondant and it dries a quicker, but I've only done it once now, So I am by no means an expert!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 8:16am
post #3 of 5

You can do 50/50 but a lot of folks have great success with Nicholas Lodge's recipe when it comes to making flowers. Here's the link:

http://www.nicholaslodge.com/gumpaste.htm

You might want to check if you can get tylose in Alberta but if not I know you can get it in Ontario for sure. Off the top of my head I know that Golda's Kitchen carries it but can't remember any other names right now.

Here's the link:
http://www.goldaskitchen.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=13129&step=4

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 11:39am
post #4 of 5

gumpaste is best for realistic flowers, and dries super fast.
because of how fast you need to work with gumpaste, some people prefer the 50/50 mix, not quite as realistic, and longer to dry.
you can just do fondant roses, unless you make them lots in advance, they wont be really dry, but they will be nice and edible (gumpaste dries too hard to really be edible).
xx

snshin1993 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snshin1993 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 5

thank you all for the help.....I will be looking for tylose here in Alberta

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%