Holy Moley... I Think I Got Threatened With A Gun

Business By snarkybaker Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 8:09pm by cakegrandma

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:34pm
post #31 of 60

Do not hesitate to make that report to the sheriff there, and also to his synod, diocese, whatever. If he's going to be that violent about cupcakes, then he has no business being a member of the clergy.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:35pm
post #32 of 60

UNBELIEVABLE! Church is not a bad place, it's the people in the church that make it bad. And not everyone is bad, but those few nuts ruin it for everybody else.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:37pm
post #33 of 60

I'd just keep it all with the law enforcement authorities--I would not touch his employment.

We would not recommend telling the car dealership owner if he was a car salesman or something.

Snarks--John himself with that great/twisting imagination could not have thought this up.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:39pm
post #34 of 60

I bet the judge who heard the case or issued the restraining order would find this to be an interesting development. Please tell him/her.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 5:00pm
post #35 of 60

So crazy! Definitely file the appropriate documents with the police department. It wouldn't hurt to put a video camera up in your shop. And I think it's time to protect yourself. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm married to a family of police officers and military veterans....one of these days I will take them up on their offer to visit the firing range so that I can learn myself. Heck, my 12-year old has been shooting rifles with the boy scouts for a few years now. I'm the only one!

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:37pm
post #36 of 60

[quote=K8memphis]

I'd just keep it all with the law enforcement authorities--I would not touch his employment.

We would not recommend telling the car dealership owner if he was a car salesman or something.[/quote]

K8memphis, I respectfully disagree and here's why.

If he worked at McDonald's, A car dealership, or Macy's then I wouldn't care because he's a commoner among commoner's but those in a position of power like clergy, police, firemen, teachers etc. are held to a higher accountability. It comes with accepting the position of the job they hold and they know it.

If he's making threats, damn straight skippy it needs to be made known to the head pastor of that church. If I found out the marriage minister at our church was making threats like that and nothing was done by our head minister and he knew it that man would be called into accountability with me and other faster than an eye can blink.

As to the OP... zoinks! blam! and Pow! Batman... that's some freaky stuff he pulled on you.

Absolutely report it to the judge/whoever is overseeing your case with the restraining order. Failure to do so could cause the order to become ineffective (at least in my state). Get a police report number, and do as suggested file a complaint in the county/jurisdiction his church is in asap.

A decade or two ago it was most likely a threat but as we've discovered sadly now it's not just that anymore and any threat does have the potential to be the real thing.

*hugs* to you for dealing with this the best you can.

And honestly, posting this here was a good thing as well. It's a paper trail of what happened and when. If anything ever happens (God forbid) you have this as proof of what was said and when.

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 7:04pm
post #37 of 60

Not only is he in a position of power with the church, but he made the call from a church phone. By doing so, he made it the church's business. If I were a business owner, I certainly would want to know if one of my employees was making threatening phone calls from my business; it's no different for a minister.

donkeemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donkeemom Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 7:14pm
post #38 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

So crazy! Definitely file the appropriate documents with the police department. It wouldn't hurt to put a video camera up in your shop. And I think it's time to protect yourself. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm married to a family of police officers and military veterans....one of these days I will take them up on their offer to visit the firing range so that I can learn myself. Heck, my 12-year old has been shooting rifles with the boy scouts for a few years now. I'm the only one!

This is all very good advise!
My daughter has restraining order on her ex and here in California it prohibits harrassing phone calls even from family members. So the young lady in your case may be in violation of her restaining order even though it was her dad who made the call.
Sorry you have to deal with nuts like this.

cakemaker30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker30 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 7:15pm
post #39 of 60

Snarky: If you have a restraining order against his daughter then you need to call the police on her!!! I have a restraining order against a crazy ex-boyfriend and it explicity says that he or "ANYONE IN HIS FAMILY" is not permitted to contact me or he will be thrown back in jail. Maybe the police can't do anything to him or they're giving you the runaround, but if you have a restraining order against her then you should have it in writing that nobody she's related to can contact and harass you. I guarantee if you throw her butt in jail over this she will make sure her daddy doesn't contact you again. Sometimes you have to be tough on people. icon_biggrin.gif I would definitely take this seriously though. If you don't let them know their are consequences for their behavior then they will continue to do it and it will only escalate. Good luck!!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 10:49pm
post #40 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

must respectfully and very strongly disagree.

He crossed over a HUGH line by doing it on and using church property.

That is an actionable offense in any church body.

His superiors: the head pastor, the church council must be told first and then on up the chain of authority.

we can not just sweep under the rug, minimize or ignore wrong or illegal behavior just because they are a "person of the cloth" -- that is what led to the scandal in the Catholic Church and has caused untold anguish and upheaval in many other churches.

he must be exposed -- even the Bible tells us to cut out that which would pollute the "body of the church" lest it destroy the church.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 11:11pm
post #41 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

That is an actionable offense in any church body.

His superiors: the head pastor, the church council must be told first and then on up the chain of authority.

we can not just sweep under the rug, minimize or ignore wrong or illegal behavior just because they are a "person of the cloth" -- that is what led to the scandal in the Catholic Church and has caused untold anguish and upheaval in many other churches.

he must be exposed -- even the Bible tells us to cut out that which would pollute the "body of the church" lest it destroy the church.

Amen, Doug. OP, think about it. He's in a position of power and not only that, but lots of people are looking to him on how they should conduct themselves. This man is not a good role model by any means and needs to be exposed. The church can't be polluted with people like him anymore, the head pastor NEEDS to know.

-K8memphis Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 11:24pm
post #42 of 60

The deal in America is innocent until proven__________. It's not my job to be a vigilante. The call came from an unnamed person using a church phone

If Snarks wants to start a freaking war she should call his place of employment. I think she's got enough on her plate.

It's none of her business to clean his clock--that's why we have the authorities.

I've been threatened --you just don't do that. You do what the law tells you to do--stirring up trouble is not one of 'em.

-K8memphis Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 11:27pm
post #43 of 60

Snarks legal actions are in place--the church will be notified or come to learn of this in due time. It is neither her responsibility nor her place to contact them.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 11:43pm
post #44 of 60

Run, do not walk, to file a legal claim. Holy Cow!

Cakey1865 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey1865 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 12:05am
post #45 of 60

Ok since everyone else is giving awesome advice, I'd like to know the business name that is being fought over...lol. icon_biggrin.gif

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 6:04am
post #46 of 60
Quote:

Snarks legal actions are in place--the church will be notified or come to learn of this in due time. It is neither her responsibility nor her place to contact them.

I've thought about this off and on, and I see the point you are making and that I do agree with that as long as it's being taken care of by the police/authorities.

If the police try to sweep it under the rug that is when I would pull my lawyer in and have him take care of it.

A lawyer would know exactly how to contact them, phrase things like that need to be phrased etc.

Her approaching it on her own, yeah bad idea. The last thing anyone wants is for her to try to address it and have him follow through with the threat.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:31pm
post #47 of 60

I agree with Kate, let the authorities handle notifying this guy's church (employer).

The last thing Snark needs is to piss this guy off any more then he already is........you never know what he might do.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:49pm
post #48 of 60
Quote:

The deal in America is innocent until proven__________. It's not my job to be a vigilante. The call came from an unnamed person using a church phone

If Snarks wants to start a freaking war she should call his place of employment. I think she's got enough on her plate.

It's none of her business to clean his clock--that's why we have the authorities.

I've been threatened --you just don't do that. You do what the law tells you to do--stirring up trouble is not one of 'em.

That's true...If she got him fired, he'd have the time and possibly the inclination to take a road trip up her way.

I've been threatened before too...you get a gun, learn to use it, and watch your a$$, but don't go out of your way to stir up trouble.

nadine_n Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadine_n Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:54pm
post #49 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakey1865

Ok since everyone else is giving awesome advice, I'd like to know the business name that is being fought over...lol. icon_biggrin.gif

Yes - this must be one heck of a name! Maybe I might want to steal it, too. icon_biggrin.gif

ShelleyMJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelleyMJ Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:21pm
post #50 of 60

There is truly alot of good advise here. I have been in a position that I needed a restraining order and there is a clause in most of them that the perpetrator and/or his/her family are not to contact you. I would certainly bring it to the attention of the authorities if her father is contacting you.

Threats of this kind should be taken very seriously. Just because you have a retraining order does not stop a person from acting out. I landed in the hospital for a month but the perpetrator landed in prison for attempted murder. Protect yourself. Don't run scared but always be viligent.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

ShelleyMJ

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:51pm
post #51 of 60

Hey Snarky- they're probably Duke fans. icon_lol.gif

Just kidding. I couldn't resist.

Ok - carry on now....

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 4:23pm
post #52 of 60

Wow, people never cease to amaze me. Its a good thing you filed a report, everyones advice is spot on.

I don't have anymore to add but I do have a few questions....how did she steal your name if it's trademarked?
Does'nt that mean you own it, the lawsuit should be easy right?
I just can't figure out why someone would steal a tradmarked name and then fight it, she sounds like a real winner.

I'm thinking about calling my biz Mrs. Bairds, do you think I'll run into any trouble?

Also is she legal and liscensed? If she's not a call to the HD might end the whole thing.

Hope it works out , let us know what happens?

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 7:52pm
post #53 of 60

I hope your lawyer has contacted the judge who issued the restraining order by now. The judge must be told of this.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 9:04pm
post #54 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Ok - carry on now....

That WOULD explain everything ...NO good can come from Durham..if you get my drift icon_wink.gif

AFCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AFCakeBaker Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 6:26pm
post #55 of 60

When I was in college, I received oscene calls from a blocked number, as did my roommate. When we filed a complaint with the local police, they requested the phone records from the company (Sprint charged me $20). They would not release the blocked numbers to me, but they were on there. We were able to trace the calls and get the guy prosecuted.

Would it be possible to have someone call the church and say you are trying to get hold of "girl's name" and you knew her dad worked there....sounds a little underhanded, i know, but people are crazy !

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 6:54pm
post #56 of 60

To the people recommending that the OP call the church: this is a BAD, BAD IDEA. The church will know, particularly if the OP's lawyer insists on the case being open to the media, but the OP calling the church directly to complain could give this guy the defense he needs to get out of any legal punishment and could cause the OP some significant legal trouble, because the moment she makes that call herself, it can be considered harassment under the law--PARTICULARLY since she already called the police about it.

Part of the reason the Catholic Church scandals got so bad is because people WEREN'T going to the police, they were complaining to the diocese and whatever, too. That's a good way to get it swept under the rug. And if it looks like the police might do that--and there's no reason they should, for an assistant minister in a separate jurisdiction from the OP--then what needs to be done is calling the local newspaper or news TV station and reporting it as a story. But that's a card I would save for the very last!

AFCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AFCakeBaker Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 6:58pm
post #57 of 60

To Clarify: I was not condoning calling and outing his business or yours, only trying to get a name if you are feeling threatened.

Not sure what kind of coward calls a woman and threatens her, but doesn't sound like a man of God....in my opinion....

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 7:15pm
post #58 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkybaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Ok - carry on now....

That WOULD explain everything ...NO good can come from Durham..if you get my drift icon_wink.gif

Hey, let's leave my alma mater out of it!

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 7:33pm
post #59 of 60

Using a telephone to harrass or threaten someone is a FEDERAL offense. (It's in the front of your phone book.) I would absolutely notify the church that someone was committing a federal crime on their property.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:09pm
post #60 of 60

Snarky,
I am so sorry that you had this happen to you and I agree that you yourself should not notify the church that a call was made from there and that you may think that it was the father. If it wasn't him but someone else close to the name stealer then a lot of repercussions could start and you may be on the receiving end. I walked outside one time during my divorce and my soon to be ex husband stood there with a shotgun in my face. Let me tell you, my life flashed before my eyes and I swear it went by so quickly I asked God for a rerun, cause I didn't think it had been so short.
Even though you may have a restraining order don't forget they do not physically protect you, it is only paper. Take care and be aware of your surrounding and what is going on at all time. God bless you and make sure your attorney handles all this for your so you are involved as little as possible.
evelyn

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%