Handpainting?

Decorating By PJ0207 Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 4:50pm by Rexy

PJ0207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ0207 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:46am
post #1 of 8

Hi, i have not yet painted on a cake.....do i have to wait to hand paint the fondant on the cake or can i just cover the cake in fondant and start the painting? (don't own an airbrush so thats not an option) also if i mix luster dust with clear extract how thin or thick does it have to be to have good coverage?

7 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:51am
post #2 of 8

What kind of painting are you talking about?

In my pic's I hand painted my teapot that was covered with fondant. I just covered it and started painting. I used gel colors mixed with vodka to paint. A little color goes a long way.

HTH you!

wholden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wholden Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:55am
post #3 of 8

Hi
I'm also pretty at this also, but I do have some experience with painting on fondant. I just finished a cake this evening that is painted. I just use luster dust and vodka. As far as thick or thin, just play with it. Thicker is darker, thinner is lighter. Also, it seemed to cover better if you mix and let it sit for 3 or 4 minutes before using. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

skeet1zp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skeet1zp Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:07am
post #4 of 8

I've also hand painted a cake or two. I just use watered down food coloring and paint the cake after the fondant has hardened slightly.

PJ0207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ0207 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:53pm
post #5 of 8

thanks, i have to paint the silver on a drum and write things on the cake.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:06pm
post #6 of 8

I have painted on both fondant and BC. The trick with BC is to let it crust up a couple of hours and keep in mind it will take a couple of coats to get the vibrancy you may want. Fondant is easier. I've used watered down gel colors as well as luster dust mixed with either extract or vodka. Works really well!

backermeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
backermeister Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:18pm
post #7 of 8

IF YOU DON'T HAVE VODKA AND DON'T WANT TO WASTE YOUR EXTRACTS YOU CAN THIN DOWN YOUR COLOR OR MIX YOUR DUSTS WITH LEMON JUICE. A LITTLE LESS EXPENSIVE TO USE. icon_biggrin.gif

Rexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rexy Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:50pm
post #8 of 8

Keep in mind, if you need to paint on the sides, it's easier to start with the "paint" too thick and thin it as needed. If it is too thin it will run and may ruin your design. Also, if the consistency is pretty thin, it will give you a water color look, which is great when you're doing leaves or petals.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%