Gumpaste Help

Decorating By hwhite0131 Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 1:58am by hwhite0131

hwhite0131 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:42am
post #1 of 11

I made gumpaste using Wilton Gum-Tex and I followed the recipe on the back exactly but I am having problems with it. I rolled some out and it seems sticky. Should I add more powdered sugar or just make another recipe? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

I should also add this is my first attempt at making and using gumpaste.

10 replies
sugarMomma Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:03am
post #2 of 11

The usual fix to sticky fondant/gumpaste is to add PS. Make sure you let it rest too.
If you get a chance try Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste recipe, it is the best!! and I have tried them all. You just need to find Tylose powder or buy it online. Gives it great elasticity and hold, perect for bows. I promise you will never go back.

hwhite0131 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:07am
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarMomma

The usual fix to sticky fondant/gumpaste is to add PS. Make sure you let it rest too.
If you get a chance try Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste recipe, it is the best!! and I have tried them all. You just need to find Tylose powder or buy it online. Gives it great elasticity and hold, perect for bows. I promise you will never go back.

Thanks sugarMomma. Yeah, I'm thinking I better just buy the Tylose powder and use his recipe, as I have heard great things about it. I was going to at first but didn't want to wait for it to be shipped. I'm going to order it now lol. Again, thanks for your reply!

sugarMomma Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:29am
post #4 of 11

You are very welcome! Good luck!

stampinron Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:43am
post #5 of 11

I'd try to add cornstarch instead of ps if stickiness is the problem

sugarandslice Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:55am
post #6 of 11

i use Edna's recipe from Youtube. Just look up tonedna1. Her recipe uses Tylose as well. I've not had any problems with it.
HTH

sweetbaker1019 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:08am
post #7 of 11

i use Nicholas Lodges recipe and its the best! very pliable and easy to work with!!!! ill never use another gum paste recipe again! lol icon_biggrin.gif

sugarandslice Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:51am
post #8 of 11

I've just had a look at Nicholas Lodge's recipe and it's nearly identical to Edna's. No wonder we're all getting such great results!!
icon_biggrin.gif

hwhite0131 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:28pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks for all of your responses. I love watching Edna's youtube videos! I knew I should have just gone with that recipe. Lesson learned! Tylose powder is on it's way! icon_biggrin.gif

Jeff_Arnett Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 5:19pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwhite0131

Quote:

Thanks sugarMomma. Yeah, I'm thinking I better just buy the Tylose powder and use his recipe, as I have heard great things about it. I was going to at first but didn't want to wait for it to be shipped. I'm going to order it now lol. Again, thanks for your reply!

Don't waste your money on those tiny little jars of Tylose [CMC is the chemical name....carboxymethyl cellulose] from the cake store. I buy mine by the pound.

If you want to try it, go to eBay and look up item number 400001290086....you can get 1/2 pound for $12.

hwhite0131 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 1:58am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Arnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwhite0131

Quote:

Don't waste your money on those tiny little jars of Tylose [CMC is the chemical name....carboxymethyl cellulose] from the cake store. I buy mine by the pound.

If you want to try it, go to eBay and look up item number 400001290086....you can get 1/2 pound for $12.

Thank you for sharing this Jeff!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%