How Long Can Smbc Be Left Out?

Decorating By sugarMomma Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 3:15pm by -K8memphis

sugarMomma Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:28am
post #1 of 15

I made SMBC to put under a fondant covered cake for a friend's birthday party. Due to a death of one of their friends, the party is cancelled or postponed indefinitely. Horrible circumstances, my prayers go out to them.

It is my first SMBC cake and I was wondering how long it will be ok at room temp, or can it be frozen and what would be the best way to thaw it? I haven't assembled it yet but they still want it and are thinking of either eating it within a couple of days of receiving it, or freezing it until an appropriate time. It will be on a fondant covered board also.

Would I be better off making AMBC for stability instead?

Thanks for your help!

14 replies
sugarMomma Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:15am
post #2 of 15

Or how do you store your fondant covered SMBC ice cakes...it's my first time making it and my friend asked me how to store it.

sugarMomma Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 5:39am
post #3 of 15

Anybody? Bueller?

Cocoby Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:29am
post #4 of 15

I don't know either ...but i will be reading this until someone who knows about this ...get us out of our doubt

CakeWhizz Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:57am
post #5 of 15

Hi there SugarMomma. I use SMBC a lot and ideally it should be kept refrigerated and it freezes very well. I am confident that you can leave a fondant covered cake with SMBC filling out at room temperature for up to 3 days, depending on how warm the room is of course. What I tend to do is to cover the cakes a day before delivery and keep them in the coolest part of the house or in a moisture free fridge at a very low setting. Hope this helps!

Cocoby Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 7:01am
post #6 of 15

THANKS A LOT FOR THE INFO! icon_smile.gif

CakeWhizz Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 7:05am
post #7 of 15

No worries. I fell in love with SMBC after watching a link posted on YouTube by Dyannbakes. You can access it at http://dyannbakes.com/index.php?post_category=icing

miny Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 7:56am
post #8 of 15

Dyann rocks the SMBC, personally I wouldn't leave out more than 4 hours but I'm sure if you contact Dyann (you can get the email at the end of the video) she may answer your question. HTH

sugarMomma Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:56pm
post #9 of 15

Thanks very much! I got the courage to try SMBC from the Dyannbakes video. I feel bad that my friends may have to freeze the cake, hopefully they can just eat it within a few days to avoid that.

CakeWhizz Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:04pm
post #10 of 15

Freezing the cake should not be a problem IMHO (depending of course on what it is) . My sister in law freezes my cakes all the time to take with her to Ireland and she says they taste just as great.

sugarMomma Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:17pm
post #11 of 15

And they are fondant covered as well? I'm worried more about freezing the fondant on the cake..

CakeWhizz Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:37pm
post #12 of 15

I've never frozen fondant but I have refrigerated it with no problems. Although the general rule of thumb is not to refrigerate or freeze fondant, but I find that if the frige setting is low and moisture free, then a fondant covered cake would be fine once it is taken out of the fridge and left for 30 minutes or so.

-K8memphis Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:49pm
post #13 of 15

Fondant covered cakes should go from the freezer to the frige overnight to thaw gradually for best results. I use smbc under my fondant.

backermeister Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:58pm
post #14 of 15

TECHNICALLY IN SMBC AND IMBC IT IS STATED IN MOST PASTRY BOOKS AND BY MY FORMER PASTRY INSTRUCTOR THAT THE SUGAR SYRUP COOKS THE EGGS AND THEREFORE SHOULD BE SAFE OUT OF FRIG. I USE PASTUERIZED EGGS FOR ADDITIONAL SAFETY. THEY REFRIG AND FREEZE FINE THOUGH. JUST KEEP IN MIND THAT YOUR FONDANT WILL SWEAT WHEN REMOVED SO A SMALL FAN TO HELP DRY WOULDN'T HURT. I CAN SAY THAT WHEN I ATTENDED PASTRY SCHOOL ALL OF OUR IMBC WAS LEFT OUT AT A/C ROOM TEMP AND NONE OF US DIED FROM IT BUT THERE IS ALWAYS SOME RISK TO THIS. I PERSONALLY RECOMMEND TO MY CUSTOMERS TO REFRIG IN CASE SOMEONE WITH A WEAKENED IMMUNE SYSTEM SUCH AS ELDERLY OR CHILDREN WERE TO CONSUME IT. THIS IS A GOOD IDEA TO CYA....IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. HTH icon_razz.gif

-K8memphis Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:15pm
post #15 of 15

Yes what they said ^^^.

And cooking the egg mixture to 160 degrees is recommended.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%