What To Charge For These Cupcakes?

Business By ranbel Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 9:20pm by HarleyDee

ranbel Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 12:39am
post #1 of 32

I have a request for the baby face cupcakes that are in my gallery. Most of the cakes I have done have been for family, but this request is not. I'm not sure what to charge for them. I was thinking in the neighbor hood of around $2 per cuppie. Is that to much? The details are fondant and was very time consuming to make.

Thanks for your help icon_smile.gif

31 replies
leah_s Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 12:57am
post #2 of 32

$4 each.
Assuming you are licensed?

newmansmom2004 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:11am
post #3 of 32

My plain cupcakes with a big swirl of icing start at $3. I'd say at least $4 for yours.

meomy Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:28am
post #4 of 32

What does that suppose to mean? What do you mean by licensed?! Does a license make a persons cupcakes taste better, in turn making them cost more? I think the charge of your cupcakes should be souly based on the quality of time, ingreidents and effort you put into them. Ask yourself what would you pay for one.

DefyGravity Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:37am
post #5 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by meomy

What does that suppose to mean? What do you mean by licensed?! Does a license make a persons cupcakes taste better, in turn making them cost more? I think the charge of your cupcakes should be souly based on the quality of time, ingreidents and effort you put into them. Ask yourself what would you pay for one.




She means a person without a license shouldn't be selling them in the first place, since its illegal.

Yankie Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:42am
post #6 of 32

You guys are amazing....she is asking for a price...not your aproval is she should make them and sell them.

Everyday I get on here and I read nothing but nasty remarks and comments from some of the old cc members.

And the problem is they think they know everything.

meomy Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:53am
post #7 of 32

You tell it girl! I understand the legalities of it, but what are you suppose to tell the little kids and the PTO fundraisers, "you and your mama is going to jail, do not pass go, and do not make 2 dollars!"
And by the way, each state has it's own specific laws and guidelines regarding home based bakeries.
I say sell them at a price you feel is worthy of your cupcakes , and I think they are adorable by the way. It they taste as good as they look, I'd pay $3 for one. And I wouldn't even make you pass a license check. icon_smile.gif

emrldsky Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:57am
post #8 of 32

Ok, let's step back a minute.

It is very well known to most of us who have been here a long time that selling cakes without a license can (and often will) result in said baker getting into trouble, along with a hefty fine.

That being said, I'm not going to defend Leahs, because she's more than capable of doing it herself.

But before people start putting words in her mouth, assuming things, just take a deep breath, and just ask. A lot of arguments (online and in real life) can be avoided if people just ask for clarification.

Hugs?

meomy Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:03am
post #9 of 32

thumbs_up.gif
Hugs from me!
Nothing better than a great discussion between great bakers!

leah_s Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:12am
post #10 of 32

Simple.

If your state requires a license to sell baked goods, and I had a license, then I'd sell those adorable cupcakes for $4 each.

If said state requires a license and I didn't have one, then I'd know that all I could possibly do legally is to give them away with a smile.

And I did get caught baking without the proper license, so I DO know what I'm talking about. And after ten years of the caking biz, + culinary school, + 7 more years of running another company, plus an MBA, yeah, I understand the *business* of caking.

Yankie Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:21am
post #11 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Simple.

If your state requires a license to sell baked goods, and I had a license, then I'd sell those adorable cupcakes for $4 each.

If said state requires a license and I didn't have one, then I'd know that all I could possibly do legally is to give them away with a smile.

And I did get caught baking without the proper license, so I DO know what I'm talking about. And after ten years of the caking biz, + culinary school, + 7 more years of running another company, plus an MBA, yeah, I understand the *business* of caking.




Leah, I understand and respect you...i do read your comments from time to time and you do give great advice.

However..it seems that lately everytime someone posts a question about what to price sometime for the first question is "are you legal", when they were only asking for advise on pricing not legal matters.

I read a lot of the threads and is always the same..it starts off really informative and all of a sudden people start posting nasty comments.

makeminepink Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:28am
post #12 of 32

And now.............you know the rest of the story. Now we know where Leahs is coming from -- she was caught selling without a license. No one better to remind us than someone who's been there.
Leahs-- you just have to see our side of it too--- your picture---------- you scolding---- you look like the cake nazi! (a throwback to Seinfeld-- for those of you who don't know.) icon_smile.gif

meomy Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:37am
post #13 of 32

I'm hoping no one took my comments as "nasty". I think you are right about the drifting as well. Baking is too much fun to get all uptight.
My basic swirled are $2 ea. while the more detailed custom cupcakes are $3.00 each. Anymore than that gets a little silly in my opinion, licensed or not. Just have fun making them and charge accordingly! icon_smile.gif

newmansmom2004 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:46am
post #14 of 32

To the OP, you can always do a market search in your area to find out how much other places are charging for their cupcakes. That's what I did. I just called around and visited a couple bakeries to see how much their cupcakes are.

We all live in different areas so our cost of living will vary and that will affect your pricing so make a few phone calls to find out how much cupcakes are (not from Walmart, but from REAL bakeries) and then price accordingly.

Good luck!

indydebi Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:47am
post #15 of 32

The question of pricing is tied up directly with the legal question.
--------------------------------
"I know a lot about first aid, so I'm going to open a clinic to help other people. How much should I charge to stitch someone up?"

"I dont' know .... are you a licensed doctor?" (Because if you're not, it's illegal to do that.)
--------------------------------
"I've read a lot of books and I've taken a few lessons, so how much can I charge to take people a ride in a plane?"

"I don't know .... are you a licensed pilot? (Because if you're not, it's illegal to fly a plane.)"
---------------------------------
Many people are unaware that it's illegal to sell foods prepared from an unlicensed kitchen. The question, innocently asked, was just to find out if the person was aware and knew this. I'm continually surprised at how many people don't know.

And as far as the PTO .... them selling cakes as a fundraiser is usually an exemption so it's a bad example to use. If it's not an exemption, I'd run as far away as I could from an organization that expects you to break the law just so they could make money.

Quote:
Quote:

Everyday I get on here and I read nothing but nasty remarks and comments from some of the old cc members.


Asking if someone is legal is not what I'd call a nasty remark.

Quote:
Quote:

And the problem is they think they know everything.


The difference, here, is that leahs DOES know everything. Theres only one other person on CC that I might (MIGHT!) allow to override leahs advice. Only one. So if she says it listen to it.

Yankie Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:59am
post #16 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

The question of pricing is tied up directly with the legal question.
--------------------------------
"I know a lot about first aid, so I'm going to open a clinic to help other people. How much should I charge to stitch someone up?"

"I dont' know .... are you a licensed doctor?" (Because if you're not, it's illegal to do that.)
--------------------------------
"I've read a lot of books and I've taken a few lessons, so how much can I charge to take people a ride in a plane?"

"I don't know .... are you a licensed pilot? (Because if you're not, it's illegal to fly a plane.)"
---------------------------------
Many people are unaware that it's illegal to sell foods prepared from an unlicensed kitchen. The question, innocently asked, was just to find out if the person was aware and knew this. I'm continually surprised at how many people don't know.

And as far as the PTO .... them selling cakes as a fundraiser is usually an exemption so it's a bad example to use. If it's not an exemption, I'd run as far away as I could from an organization that expects you to break the law just so they could make money.

Quote:
Quote:

Everyday I get on here and I read nothing but nasty remarks and comments from some of the old cc members.

Asking if someone is legal is not what I'd call a nasty remark.

Quote:
Quote:

And the problem is they think they know everything.

The difference, here, is that leahs DOES know everything. Theres only one other person on CC that I might (MIGHT!) allow to override leahs advice. Only one. So if she says it listen to it.




Ding Ding Round 2
Just as expect tag team..I knew you were going to jump on this one..because that's what you do.

I think leah can defend herself...as she already did..so why are you jumping in so late.

I think by now we all know that you need to be "Legal" because you seem to mention it on every post.

evie114 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:10am
post #17 of 32

I think the other thing that comes into play here as far as price goes and licensed vs. unlicensed is that a licensed baker has substantially more overhead to account for when pricing their product. The licensed baker has to pay for set up/maintenance of a legal kitchen, liability insurance, etc. whereas the home baker who is not licensed does not have any of those expenses to take into consideration. Accordingly, a licensed baker SHOULD be charging more than the home baker for the exact same product. Don't want to offend anyone, just want to point out another perspective.

meomy Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:19am
post #18 of 32

The OP was what it was. Nothing regarding state laws. We are comparing apples and oranges at this point. The poor lady just wanted advice on what others charged for their cupcakes.
That said, I also absolutely agree that everyone needs to follow the guidelines and laws of their home state first and foremost. Now I'm going to bed to dream of sugar plums dancing in my head!
Lighten up folks. We are all here to learn, share and BAKE!!!!!!!!

wendy1273 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:22am
post #19 of 32

I would charge $4 each

cathyscakes Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:51am
post #20 of 32

I could care less if someone is legal or not, its there life, they are the ones taking the chance, or the people hiring them. So I think we shoud just back off and answer the question being asked or just not respond. It always puts a damper on things. I get so tired of this, other cake boards don't seem so concerned about this, but the people on cc feel like they have to police the world. I know you have strong convictions about this, but we are all just here to have fun.

__Jamie__ Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:57am
post #21 of 32

I'm dreaming of....rainbows and kitties and a squeaky pink world where we all fart sparkly confetti sprinkled cupcakes, and no one ever has to endure a response that doesn't completely cuddle them and make them feel like they just took a valium.

KrissieCakes Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:12am
post #22 of 32

wait...you don't fart sparkly cupcakes Jamie? I thought everyone did. icon_smile.gif

motherofgrace Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:19am
post #23 of 32

personally i would do $4, they are very cute.

__Jamie__ Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:22am
post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrissieCakes

wait...you don't fart sparkly cupcakes Jamie? I thought everyone did. icon_smile.gif




icon_lol.gif No, but my hubby came up with a funny nickname if he ever joined this forum. His name would be "I_Fart_Fondant"

I did not disagree with him. But I told him he'd probably be asked to change his name! icon_lol.gif

Geez, sorry to be so crude with the flatulating (hee hee) language, but I couldn't resist. What a load of hot air, eh? icon_lol.gif Ok....done. I promise.

DebraDough Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:43am
post #25 of 32

Geeze Louise...I've never seen it get quite so hot on a forum posting. We don't even have to have a DEC approved kitchen where I live when selling out of one's home. Unless you are selling anything with dairy products in them...like custard. But ...I live in the sticks and in the last frontier where we just don't like a lot of rules and regulations. If I lived in a city...like Anchorage you can be sure the city would pick up where the state doesn't bother. Anyone ever think of that...state laws versus city ordinances? I would be a bit afraid to be selling too much of anything if it were against the rules...you know, fines, jail...seems like the bad guys get off and the poor little lady trying to make an extra buck would end up in the clinker. Indydebbi...once again I just love your humor. If I get a gash in my hand out in the boon docks gutting a moose I can assure you my hunting buddy wouldn't charge me as much to sew it up as the emergency room physician at the local hospital would. But...I am pretty confident that they would both do a good job. Experience sure does count for a lot. I also appreciate the observation that those with a legit business...storefront, insurance, advertising and a whole lot more I am sure need to charge more. Usually the home business is expected to work just a bit cheaper. But as for me....I would rather do one cake a month and get paid what I am worth than to do ten a day for peanuts. Enough said. I haven't been on in a while. Summer in Alaska the sun is up round the clock and so am I. Blessings to all you bakers.

ranbel Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 11:17am
post #26 of 32

Wow, all this after a good nights sleep. I'm sorry that I posted this question. I like happy endings, not this. Definately didn't mean to cause anyone to get upset. Smile everyone and lets have a wonderuful day.
icon_razz.gif
Off to my real job now, but I do appreciate the compliments on my cute cuppies.

Brenda0217 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 11:47am
post #27 of 32

As I started reading this, all of a sudden it hit me, NO ONE even ASKED ranbel if she was licensed? Or even asked her if she knew the risk of selling if she did not have a license? That might have been the more polite way of finding out. Usually I don't jump in when they are talking about licensing since I am still new at all this, but could not help it this time. I can see both sides of this, but there are better ways of asking and finding questions out. After all she was just askinig for a price. And yes she could have mentioned whether or not she was licensed or not. but she didn't. she was just asking a question, that was all. Now the poor girl or anyone else will be afraid to ask their questions for fear of the answers she just got. And that will not help out us newbies at all, because now we all will be afraid to ask all you guys with all your experience to help us out. Sometimes you have to remember not all of us are older professionals on here. Now I will go and mind my own business. Thank you.

flourpowerMN Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:58pm
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Quote:

I think the other thing that comes into play here as far as price goes and licensed vs. unlicensed is that a licensed baker has substantially more overhead to account for when pricing their product. The licensed baker has to pay for set up/maintenance of a legal kitchen, liability insurance, etc. whereas the home baker who is not licensed does not have any of those expenses to take into consideration. Accordingly, a licensed baker SHOULD be charging more than the home baker for the exact same product.




Completely agree!

emrldsky Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:08pm
post #29 of 32

I think we need...MORE HUGS!!!!

And a peaceful ditty:

"Spinning 'round in your dance of life like a hurricane

'Round and 'round we search for love in a world gone insane.
Where's the ioy
where's the laughter?
Have we all gone astray?
Hold on tight
don't give up
for love is on the way." Peace Maker - Kool and the Gang

Oh, and how about some cake? birthday.gifbirthday.gifbirthday.gifbirthday.gifbirthday.gif

Btw, I'd charge at least $4, or more depending on the area you live. icon_biggrin.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:27pm
post #30 of 32

I don't think a licensed home baker should be charging less then a lincensed bakery, just cause its at home. I don't have access to wholesalers. So my overhead is not exactly cheap.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%