Do You Ever Get Tips From Customers?

Decorating By Ladiesofthehouse Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 3:14am by indydebi

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:28pm
post #1 of 16

Just curious...when I delivered a baby shower cake this weekend they gave me a $20.00 tip. The last 3 cakes I delivered the customers gave me tips.

My husband and I own a Home Repair business and in 12 years of doing business (with very happy customers) we have never once gotten a tip. I was a sign painter before having kids and only once in 5 years do I remember getting a tip and I had to split that one with the person that was working with me.

Do you think it has something to do with the food business? I'm not complaining, LOL, just curious!

15 replies
bravoe06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bravoe06 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 12:03am
post #2 of 16

You just have very kind customers I usually quote a price and end up getting 10 or 20 dollars more just lucky icon_smile.gif Congrats to you that is asign they LOVE your cakes!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 12:18am
post #3 of 16

Way to go! I thought you meant a TIP like "Gee, I think that you should do THIS differently"... To which I always respond "My tip to YOU is don't walk down stairs with your finger in your nose!"

Congrats!!!

Kandy4283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandy4283 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 12:22am
post #4 of 16

Most of my customers do not tip me but there is one repeat customer that gives me about 10 dollars more everytime! I don't think that people think about it when they get a cake to be honest! When you go get your nails done, you automatically give them a tip or when you are at a resteraunt, but typically when yopu go pick up a birthday cake from a store or bakery, you don't leave them a tip! Some people just think differently!

Ladiesofthehouse Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 12:22am
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet2oothtreats

I usually quote a price and end up getting 10 or 20 dollars more just lucky icon_smile.gif

So this is common? To usually get more than your price for the cake? What about weddings? Is it common to get tips when delivering the wedding cake?

I also got a $20.00 last week after delivering lunches to a city meeting for 6 people. I didn't think the lunch was anything spectacular, just homemade, but when I asked about the additional money they said they always tip the lunch provider.

If this is common in the food industry, I like it!

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 12:32am
post #6 of 16

i almost always get tips from customers- on celebration cakes- never gotten a tip from a wedding cake yet, but I can keep wishing. I think it depends on where you are- its still pretty customary around here to tip people.

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 12:54am
post #7 of 16

I sometimes get a small tip at work (grocery store bakery) for writing "Happy Birthday Blank" on a cake, I have gotten 2 $5 tips recently, which was very sweet. I also made a cake for a friend and we decided $70 for ingredients/delivery...she gave me an extra $30 to pay the toll for driving the cake to her during rush hour (toll at state bridge is $icon_cool.gif.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:15am
post #8 of 16

I have recieved tips several times. It always makes me feel wonderful. I use to design wedding gowns and I remember the first tip I got doing that. The mother of the bride sent me a $50 tip for helping her daughter find a style that would be unique but suit her.

By the way we had a construction business for 10 yrs and my husband use to get tips all the time. It amazed me, but they would tip him $50-$200 when they did and some would just give him things. We have a very nice dining set that one of the homeowners gave him. These homes were on the lake and very upscale so I think it depends on the area. But these are people who would pay him $25 per picture to hang a picture just because they didn't want to do it themselves lol.

Ladiesofthehouse Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:30am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

By the way we had a construction business for 10 yrs and my husband use to get tips all the time. It amazed me, but they would tip him $50-$200 when they did and some would just give him things. We have a very nice dining set that one of the homeowners gave him. These homes were on the lake and very upscale so I think it depends on the area. But these are people who would pay him $25 per picture to hang a picture just because they didn't want to do it themselves lol.

Well now that you put it that way I guess we do get tips all the time with the home repair business; fresh salmon, halibut, king crab and prawns thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:57am
post #10 of 16

I never get a tip for a drop-off cake, but my crew usually gets very nice tips for working a catering. It could be the perceived "service". Like if you deliver the cake vs. them coming to pick it up. (like they tip the pizza delivery guy).

Biggest tip my staff ever got was an $800 tip to divide among 4 of them. They were a VERY happy bunch that night!

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:13am
post #11 of 16

There are kind soul's in the world! All I can ask is pay it forward. We lived for years off of my husbands tips when he was bartending. Sometimes a special tip made for an extra bag of groceries.

Now I always over tip, and when someone is really good at a restaurant or whatever, I will sometimes match what we spent. Once we tipped a gal $20 for a $10 bill, she was a teenager and doing a great job. We watched her reaction on the way out. You would of thought we had given her a new car.

So if you can, pay it forward!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:16am
post #12 of 16

I've only gotten one tip for a wedding cake, but several for party cakes. It's rare, but delightful!

Ladiesofthehouse Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:54am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchristi27

There are kind soul's in the world! All I can ask is pay it forward. We lived for years off of my husbands tips when he was bartending. Sometimes a special tip made for an extra bag of groceries. So if you can, pay it forward!

Paid it forward just today, as a matter of fact. My husband won a charter fishing trip at a contractor's dinner and had a fantastic time. I baked up 2 batches of Sunrise Maple Twists and took in for a surprise to the store that donated the trip. Then I took the second batch over to our cement provider because he always helps us out on the jobs even though he doesn't have to. Big, big smiles all around

My mom raised us 4 kids by working at our school during the day and waitressing at night. Yes, I remember having special treats when she had a good night waitressing. icon_biggrin.gif

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:08am
post #14 of 16

I have gotten occasional tips and I always have 2 reactions....My first thought is--"Maybe I should have charged more in the first place!" and my second thought is...."Dang, someone appreciates me!"

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:09am
post #15 of 16

A lot of my customers have been tipping lately and it's always a wonderful surprise.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 3:14am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mencked

and my second thought is...."Dang, someone appreciates me!"

That's almost as valuable as the tip, sometimes, isn't it? thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%