Need Help In Pricing & No.of Servings

Business By Samsyd Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 2:47pm by Samsyd

Samsyd Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 10

This is for the very first time I'm posting here.The question I'm asking isn't new but just want to share & ask to friendly experts here as I trust that no one will ignore my topic.
I lost my cake order last week just because of price as the lady said to me for 100 people cake and asked me how much lb of cake u'll give as she wants black forest cake with whipped cream & cherry filling with chocolate decorations;I was just confused as I don't know that which size is how much lb and serve how many people and definitely couldn't calculate the price as usually I make for my family and friends but she liked my cakes and asked me to do for big party also she gave me 3-4 days to do I said that u gave me short time to manage all this as it's a big cake..she understand that but still I feel that If I know the calculation and everything maybe I could do that so trying to prepare for the future and improve myself as I love to decorate and thinking to start as a homebased business .
Could anybody please help me to how I could manage such questions & the pricing as well.
I'm new in CC as well and the people here are so cooperative and feel like they want to help as could as they can,really lucky to know CC and if someday I start my business CC play an imp role icon_smile.gif

sry for taking so much time,
Sabrina from Toronto.

9 replies
costumeczar Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 10

I don't know many people who calculate the price of cakes by the pound anymore, it's kind of an old-fashioned way of doing it. There are a couple of bakeries around here who still do that, but I'd be at a loss to tell you what number of pounds is how much cake...You should look up the Wilton cake serving chart and see how many servings the different sized cakes will give you, then use that as a guide for your pricing.

If someone only gave you 3 days to do a cake, I'd also charge a rush fee since they want you to work their order into your schedule at the last minute.

You should also tell people that you'll figure out a price quote and get back to them if you're not sure about a price right when they ask you. Don't be afraid to tell them you need some time to figure it out. That was a complicated cake she was asking you for, so you probably don't have a price for something like that right on the tip of your tongue.

__Jamie__ Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 10:42pm
post #3 of 10

Good pounds? Well, 10 hours of intricate piping is going to weigh a heck of a lot less than 1 teeny fondant covered undecorated cake, but would cost 10 times as much for the time that it took to complete!

People ever and still charge by the pound??? How is this possible?

indydebi Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 10:46pm
post #4 of 10

I recall reading a thread quite some time ago that certain kinds of cakes are sold by the pound in another country. Can't recall the kind of cake or what country, though.... icon_redface.gif

Doug Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 10:48pm
post #5 of 10
Originally Posted by indydebi

I recall reading a thread quite some time ago that certain kinds of cakes are sold by the pound in another country. Can't recall the kind of cake or what country, though.... icon_redface.gif

pound cake? icon_rolleyes.gificon_razz.gificon_lol.gif

leah_s Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 10:57pm
post #6 of 10

The only places I'm familiar with the "by the pound charge" are in the Caribbean.

__Jamie__ Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:05pm
post #7 of 10

Ah, rum cake!

costumeczar Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:11pm
post #8 of 10

It's an old-school way of doing it. A certain amount of cake would be assumed to serve a certain number of people, or some such stuff.

There are two bakeries in my area that I can think of who still price by the pound (and yes, it might be pound cake since they're both, shall we say, not too fashion-forward?) Every now and then I'll get someone who comes to me for a consult after going to one of them, and they'll refer to the quotes they were given as by the pound. It makes it hard for them to compare quotes, anyway.

ZAKIA6 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 12:42am
post #9 of 10

I took a class almost a little over a year ago to make "dominican cake" the instructor told me they are priced by the pound

Samsyd Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:47pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks everyone for your replies..........
even the lady isn't that old icon_rolleyes.gif ,that's make me confuse though but anyway... I think I should tell that I'll give such size of cake for such number of people ... but how many serving pieces could be for 100 people or what ever the #,is it 100 pieces?? just follow wilton guideline make the size of the cake which gives 100 pieces or it should be more than that..if it should more , then how much?
Thanks costumeczar for your advise...I usually do that way as I also took orders other than cakes..
but in this order she said no to me & gave the reason that it's hard for you to make in this short time a big cake & it's my mistake that I should call u earlier & for me is pricing( I didn't showed her) for such number of people as if I charged her 2$ per pieces she'll never give me 200$ even 150$..

thanks everyone for your time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%