To All Cookie Bakers ??

Decorating By Uniqueask Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 2:42pm by backermeister

Uniqueask Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 11

I am trying to make some sugar cookies, as party favors for a baby shower I am throwing for my friend, on sept 12th I am also making the cake, and cooking most of the food, I have never made elaborate cookies before, My Question is how early can I bake them ahead of time and they still stay fresh, and can you guys tell me what is the best recipe to use, I kind of now most of the tips for flodding and piping etc, because I have purchased Cookie craft, just wanted to now how early I can bake them and they still stay fresh

10 replies
GL79 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 11

I don't know much either, but would love to know, since I'm making cookies for my niece's b-day in 2 weeks. I know most use color flow for icing but how do you achieve a smooth look. I've used it before but can't get the smooth surface.

deetmar Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 11

I would definatley do the NFSC (No fail sugar Cookies) that is in the recipe section. Decorate in Royal Icing, many people here us Antonio74's icing, I use Elisa Strauss, they freeze very nicely for a couple of weeks.

I usually made my dough up in one day, bake the next, then decorate. Let them set with the icing for at least 24 hours. I then put them in a rubbermaid container with sheets of wax paper or parchment in between the layers. You don't want to stack more than 2 to 3 high, for breakage.

When I have weddings that I am making the cake, and the cookies as guest favors, I always do the cookies up ahead of time and freeze them. It actually makes them taste really fresh.

Hope this helps!

JoJo0855 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Quote:

I know most use color flow for icing but how do you achieve a smooth look. I've used it before but can't get the smooth surface

You're likely making the color flow icing too thick. Add more water, a little at a time, and test. It should spread nicely, but not be so runny it pours over the dam.

backermeister Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 11

HELLO. YOUR BEST BET IS MAKING YOUR SUGAR DOUGH, ROLL IT OUT ON A FLAT SHEET PAN, CUT OUT YOUR SHAPES, REMOVE SCRAP PIECES BUT LEAVE CUT OUTS ON PAN (DOUGH WILL BE TOO SOFT AND SHAPES WILL BECOME DISFIGURED IF MOVED), PLACE YOUR PAN IN THE FREEZER TIL COOKIES ARE HARDENED(ABOUT 15 MINUTES) AND THEN PICK THEM UP AND STACK THEM SEPARATED BY PARCHMENT PAPER IN A FREEZER BAG OR AIRTIGHT BOX. AS LONG AS THEY ARE KEPT FROZEN THE SHAPES WILL BE FINE. KEEP IN FREEZER UNTIL READY TO BAKE. I BAKE MY DOUGH FROM FROZEN AND THE SHAPES ACTUALLY COME OUT CLEANER AND THE BAKING TIME REALLY DOESN'T CHANGE BY THAT MUCH. JUST KEEP A CLOSE EYE. I HAVE DONE THIS UP TO ONE MONTH AHEAD OF DUE DATE AND THE TASTE WAS STILL EXCEPTIONAL. ALSO MOST DECORATED COOKIES ARE FROSTED WITH ROYAL ICING NOT COLOR FLOW. OUTLINE YOUR COOKIES WITH STIFF ROYAL AND THEN THIN DOWN THE SAME ROYAL WITH WATER UNTIL IT FLOWS OUT LIKE ELMER'S GLUE FOR FLOODING. COLOR FLOW IS MORE FOR DECORATIONS THAT ARE NOT GOING TO BE EATEN SUCH AS PLAQUES. HTH LET ME KNOW icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif I TYPICALLY BAKE MY COOKIES NO EARLIER THAN 7 DAYS BEFORE EVENT AS THEY TEND TO GET TOO HARD AND THE TASTE BECOMES STALE BUT YOU WANT TO DECORATE AT LEAST 24 HOURS BEFORE EVENT FOR DRYING TIME

Uniqueask Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you very much

NatalieMarie Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 9:11pm
post #7 of 11

Hi,

I would really recommend the book 'Cookie Craft' by Valerie Peterson and Janice Fryer.

It will answer all your questions about storing/packaging/freezing dough etc. It has some fantastic cookie recipes on there and gives some brilliant ideas for elaborately decorated cookies with very clear instructions.

I can't recommend this book enough

Uniqueask Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 12:44pm
post #8 of 11

i already have the cookie craft book,i have not finished reading the book.
but.. thank you so much for your comments!

soonerfan1 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:00pm
post #9 of 11

My advice would be to practice a couple of times before you do the actual cookies. I have now decorated with royal icing for the 4th time and I get better each time. I have used Antonia74 icing and outline and then thin it down to use to flood. I have also found that when I am doing a lot of flooding of 1 color I have put the thinned icing in the Wilton candy squeeze bottles and it has made it easier to do and you have a cap to put on immediately so the icing won't harded. I use a toothpick to get into the corners. I also think the NFSC recipe is good to use.

Good luck and I know they will turn out beautiful.

Uniqueask Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:23pm
post #10 of 11

Thank YouSooner Fan,

I did get most of the info from the book, but I wanted advice from you guys that actually makes a lot of cookies

Thanks a lot guys

backermeister Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:42pm
post #11 of 11

toothpicks do work well for corners but i have found that it is easier to use small art paint brushes for this because they don't leave peaks that you have to smooth out and they are also easier to hold in your hands. select your brush size based on the area of cookie you are flooding. much faster and less chance of the royal drying on you before smoothing. if you do get points or peaks just smooth them with a slightly damp fingertip or paintbrush but don't wait too long cause the surface dries pretty quick.hth and happy baking icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%