Advice On Transporting Cake

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 10:44pm by kokopuff

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 4

I've been asked to make a truck or firetruck type cake for a first birthday party. The grandmother lives here in Nashville, but will be driving the cake to Atlanta (about 4 1/2 hours away) to the party.

I haven't made a lot of 3-D cakes, and I am worried about the transporting. I'm assuming it would do better than a stacked cake. I just can't decide if I should do 3-D or just a flat sheet cake that looks like a truck. Anybody had any horror stories transporting 3-D cakes?

3 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 4

If I were doing this, I'd want the cake to be as solid as possible.

I recently did a horizontal rocket cake that would be outside for a while in 92 degree heat.

I used the Wilton 16x4 long loaf pan. I baked 2 half recipes (about 5 cups of batter), rather than one large recipe in it because I felt that the resulting cake would taste better. I used only buttercream to glue the 2 cakes together--no real filling and no torting. I froze the assembled cake and then carved it while still frozen.

The cake was extremely stable and I think that the shape of the pan would translate really well into a truck or firetruck. It would serve about 30 people party sized servings.

http://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?id=7792&trng=fgle

HTH
Rae

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 10:40pm
post #3 of 4

I haven't made a firetruck as of yet but I have made a few other truck(see my pics).I also used a loaf pan like Blakescakes.I usually used 1 and a half loaf cakes,1 whole one for the back and half one for the front cut to the shape I want it to be,or I sometimes use my wilton car pan along with a loaf pan if I need more cake.

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 4

Oops! I forgot to say I had to travel with mine ,not as far as you,but I used plenty of buttercream and they held together well,and I did put them flat on the board and piped the tires on the side instead of trying to raise it up for the full 3d effect,hope that makes sense.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%