Texas Bakers - Question!!

Business By BlackFlour Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 9:28pm by BlackFlour

BlackFlour Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 7

Who do I call to find out about our county laws for baking for friends, etc. I was told by someone who lives in tx that they asked their local health department and they're ok with baking for friends and family. Thanks!! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
veronica720 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 7

It depends on the county you live in. Some don't have their own "health dept" so you have to go by what the surrounding counties follow. I think there are alot of cities near Austin that follow what Austin says. You can check your city website and look for health dept or public health link that may lead to where you want.

If you list your city someone on here may be able to tell you exactly.

veronica720 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 7

And you can bake for anyone as long as they do not pay you. No donations or buying supplies or anything involving money.

BlackFlour Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 7

I live in frisco, which is Collin County, if anyone knows anything. I know you aren't supposed to charge, but family members aren't going to 'let' me make them cakes when they ask for them, especially my MIL, she forced me to take money for cakes she asks for! lol

veronica720 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 9:16pm
post #5 of 7

I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for but here is the link for the city health & food dept.

http://www.ci.frisco.tx.us/departments/planningDevelopment/healthFoodSafety/Pages/default.aspx

kelleym Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 9:27pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by veronica720

And you can bake for anyone as long as they do not pay you. No donations or buying supplies or anything involving money.

I'm not sure this is entirely true. In Travis County you cannot provide food to the public without a license, regardless of whether you're charging or not. As always, consult your local Health Department to get clarification.

BlackFlour Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 9:28pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks! I had already left them a message and sent an email, so I thought someone on here would maybe give me an answer faster icon_smile.gif hehe I'm sure they're going to be SUPER speedy on returning my phone call! icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%