1St Time Making Cake :o) I Need Help Making It Fun!

Decorating By zachtymom Updated 22 Aug 2009 , 1:50am by caked4life

zachtymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zachtymom Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 14

I am hosting a baby shower and know I want to try to make a 2 tier cake with buttercream , but need ideas on how to decorate not using fondant (never have before)
if anyone has tips for making a 2 tier cake and pink & brown decorations....please send my way :O)

Thanks

PS No baby decor but more modern (striped, circles, ect)

13 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 14

If it's your first time making a 2-tier cake, make sure you dowel the bottom tier so the top one doesn't sink into it like quicksand.

Also, to get your buttercream smooth, you might want to try the Viva paper towel method.

Other than that, I just say get a vision in your head and go for it! That's what I do, and sometimes the cake actually looks just like the vision -- other times, not so much icon_lol.gif

Just pick something fairly simple like you said, stripes, circles, swirls, and it should be gorgeous! And be sure to post a picture when you're finished. Have fun!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 14

What if you did one tier brown and one tier pink? (And what if you just used a bit of fondant? It would be super easy). All you would have to do would be to punch out little round polka dots and then paste the pink dots on the brown tier and the brown dots on the pink tier. It would be super cute!

zachtymom Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 14

thanks for the ideas....I will post a pic after I try (good or bad) :O)

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:38am
post #5 of 14

You could do a pink cake with pink and brown fondant dots... I have a green and brown 1 tier in my photos.

zachtymom Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:32am
post #6 of 14

Mindy, I really like your cake and it has a baby carriage......i am gonna try to do it!

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:37am
post #7 of 14

Thank you.. the carriage was very simple... I used the lid of the cornstartch container because I didnt have a cookie cutter big enough. Anything round will do....

I used all kinds of things for the smaller circles.. tops and bottoms of tips, straws and cookie cutters.

Cheri316 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheri316 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:49am
post #8 of 14

I am interested in making a zebra cake for my finale cake. How do I get black fondant, and is there any type of pattern to use.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 3:07am
post #9 of 14
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 6:15am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheri316

I am interested in making a zebra cake for my finale cake. How do I get black fondant, and is there any type of pattern to use.

Purchase pre-colored Satin Ice.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 6:23am
post #11 of 14

Black and red are 2 of the more difficult colours to make so I would also recommend buying it but if you can't do this I would recommend you make chocolate fondant first (the darker the better) buy replacing some of the ps with cocoa powder (maybe try hersey's dark chocolate) and then adding black to that. You might also want to add the black colouring to the wet ingredients so it will be easier to make. If you only need a small amount of black then just colour it like you would anything else. I find americolor's are the best to work with.

sweetcakesbydesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbydesign Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 7:02am
post #12 of 14

Oh wow... what a coincidence!!! My first cake was a two teir brown and pink cake also icon_biggrin.gif !!!

I did white icing(easy) and bought a batch of the Wilton's pre-made fondant(I know, Iknow..this was before my MMF days icon_razz.gif )

Than i colored half the fondant pink and the other half brown and did brown anfd pink polka dots on the top teir and brown and pink stripes on the bottom teir.

Kind of like this one:

http://www.creative-baby-shower-ideas.com/images/pinkandchocolatecake1.jpg

Also, you can google "Pink and brown cakes" under images.. it brings up quite a few

HTH
~sweetcakesbydesign

Cheri316 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheri316 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:39am
post #13 of 14

has anyone made rolled buttercream? Which is easier to work with, rolled buttercream or MMF?

caked4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caked4life Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 1:50am
post #14 of 14

A pink cake would be pretty and make brown circles out of royal icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%