What Books Do You Recommend? I Have Gift Certificate(Amazon)

Decorating By neelycharmed Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 4:20am by xstitcher

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 7

I love. love, love books.
And for part of my Mother's Day gift, my hubby gave me a $200.00 gift certificate to amazon.ca
What's your favorite cake books?? or cookie? or baking?
I have 1000+ cookbooks,but I haven't bought any in the last year- and i know there must a few great books out there now...
TIA,
Jodi icon_smile.gif

6 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 12:58am
post #2 of 7

I love the following authors: Lindy Smith, Colette Peters, Elisa Strauss. They all have great books. I have also heard that Debbie Brown has a really good one out.

I also love Martha Stewarts Wedding Cakes.

Have fun spending your gift certificate!

chanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanda Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:09am
post #3 of 7

I love Cakelove by warren brown if you're looking for some scratch recipes, he breaks it all down!!

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:05am
post #4 of 7

1,000+? Wow!

I love my Confetti Cake books. I'm not a huge fan of the Debbie Brown books. While she has some cute ideas, I need a bit more detail in the step by step. Martha Stewart's Wedding Cake book (and cupcake book) are great. Anything by Julia Child is great too.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:14am
post #5 of 7

I love Martha's cookie & wedding cake book. The Cake Bible is on my list of must-buys.
You can check for cake books at your local library. Check them out, give them a once over, see if there's anything you like. Then if you don't like it, you can choose another.
I love the Debbie Brown books, but they're very specific themes and mostly child (or child-at-heart) oriented. I have been able to create some spot on characters from them however.

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:17am
post #6 of 7

I've recently bought the Planet Cake book and LOVE it!!! Check out their website www.planetcake.com.au
The instructions in the book are really clear with step-by-step photos. And their ideas are creatively awesome.
What a lovely gift from your hubby!!
icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:20am
post #7 of 7

If your looking for gumpaste instructions I'd look for books by Alan Dunn. I also have Scott Clark Woolley's book and think it's really good too. Check out Nicholas Lodge as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%