Dummy Question...

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 7:28pm by tracycakes

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 7

I have a friend who is a wedding coordinator. I am not licensed so I cant really make cakes for her clients but she has designed a cake and has challenged me to make it. I would like to make it because it would be a challenge. Also I see cake all the time I would love to try but really have no need for the cake part.

So the question is can you reuse dummies? I saw in one cake supply magazine dummys that look liked they were already covered in white fondant. They were about $50 each but it was 3 tiers. Can I reuse them. Also can I reuse the styrofoam ones?

TIA

6 replies
Cheyanne25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheyanne25 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 7

I don't know about ones that are pre-covered in fondant, but you can definitely re use the Styrofoam ones.

I put a thin layer of shortening on my dummies before I cover them, then when I want to take them apart the fondant peels off really easily.

One trick to stop yourself from making a mess: peel off the fondant with the dummy in a bag (example: plastic grocery bag), that way the bits and pieces are caught in the bag as soon as they come off (instead of being all over your floor and counter top).

HTH

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 7

Take the dried dummy, wrap in plastic bag, whack on floor. Should only need to do twice at the most. icon_biggrin.gif

Cheyanne25 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 7

lol Jamie, I tried that with my dummy yesterday. Mine didn't seem to want to cooperate, although I did earn some funny looks from hubby-to-be as I smashed my dummy on the floor repeatedly.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:17pm
post #5 of 7

Reall? Mine was realllllyy old and dry.

Cheyanne25 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 7

Mine had been around for a few weeks (it's the last pic I put up, large dummy). But it's been UBER humid here (I hate southern Canada lol), and the shortening kept the inside layers pretty soft. I figured that's why it didn't smash. I think I'm going to leave my next dummy a LONG LONG time, just so I can smash it!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:28pm
post #7 of 7

My fondant stays soft on the inside also but it actually peels off fairly easily. I reused some of them several times. I buy my dummies from Dallas-foam.com and they are really cheap. They deliver really quickly too. I had placed an order and it wouldn't accept it because the minimum order is $10 and I had ordered 3 or 4 tiers. I recently placed an order for round, hex and square dummies, for at least 3 or 4 tiers for each one and a couple of extras. It all came in one box and was less that $20. I can't go to my local cake store and by a 10" round for less than $20. They are awesome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%