Dummy Question...

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 7:28pm by tracycakes

mindy1204 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 7

I have a friend who is a wedding coordinator. I am not licensed so I cant really make cakes for her clients but she has designed a cake and has challenged me to make it. I would like to make it because it would be a challenge. Also I see cake all the time I would love to try but really have no need for the cake part.

So the question is can you reuse dummies? I saw in one cake supply magazine dummys that look liked they were already covered in white fondant. They were about $50 each but it was 3 tiers. Can I reuse them. Also can I reuse the styrofoam ones?

6 replies
Cheyanne25 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 7

I don't know about ones that are pre-covered in fondant, but you can definitely re use the Styrofoam ones.

I put a thin layer of shortening on my dummies before I cover them, then when I want to take them apart the fondant peels off really easily.

One trick to stop yourself from making a mess: peel off the fondant with the dummy in a bag (example: plastic grocery bag), that way the bits and pieces are caught in the bag as soon as they come off (instead of being all over your floor and counter top).

__Jamie__ Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 7

Take the dried dummy, wrap in plastic bag, whack on floor. Should only need to do twice at the most. icon_biggrin.gif

Cheyanne25 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 7

lol Jamie, I tried that with my dummy yesterday. Mine didn't seem to want to cooperate, although I did earn some funny looks from hubby-to-be as I smashed my dummy on the floor repeatedly.

__Jamie__ Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:17pm
post #5 of 7

Reall? Mine was realllllyy old and dry.

Cheyanne25 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 7

Mine had been around for a few weeks (it's the last pic I put up, large dummy). But it's been UBER humid here (I hate southern Canada lol), and the shortening kept the inside layers pretty soft. I figured that's why it didn't smash. I think I'm going to leave my next dummy a LONG LONG time, just so I can smash it!

tracycakes Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:28pm
post #7 of 7

My fondant stays soft on the inside also but it actually peels off fairly easily. I reused some of them several times. I buy my dummies from Dallas-foam.com and they are really cheap. They deliver really quickly too. I had placed an order and it wouldn't accept it because the minimum order is $10 and I had ordered 3 or 4 tiers. I recently placed an order for round, hex and square dummies, for at least 3 or 4 tiers for each one and a couple of extras. It all came in one box and was less that $20. I can't go to my local cake store and by a 10" round for less than $20. They are awesome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%