Another..what To Charge Question...

Decorating By SJ169 Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 12:13am by cylstrial

SJ169 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 17

Ok this is my first "what to charge question" but i am really stumped.

A customer emailed me this picture for a birthday. The animals i believe are toy animals but I am having a hard time quoting the price..i assume you would do a sheet cake and then carve it do the slope and the "rocks"...

If anyone wants to throw it out there...what would you charge for this cake??
LL

16 replies
SJ169 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 17

anyone? icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 17

I think I'd upcharge $10-ish for buttercream, $15-ish for fondant.
Plus the per serving amount.

That's with store bought animals.

cylstrial Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 10:49pm
post #4 of 17

I would say start at $4 or $5 a slice because you are going to have to carve that down. And you charge for how many slices there would have been. Not how many you'll end up with. Because if you don't charge for all that extra cake that's going to get cut off, then it's coming out of your pocket.

SJ169 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 17

ya i was thinking 5.oo per slice....i am waiting for the customer to get back to me about how many people they are needing to serve...how big of a cake would you say that is??

-K8memphis Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 10:53pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

I would say start at $4 or $5 a slice because you are going to have to carve that down. And you charge for how many slices there would have been. Not how many you'll end up with. Because if you don't charge for all that extra cake that's going to get cut off, then it's coming out of your pocket.




Yes but if you're careful you can use just about everyting you cut off (that doesn't get nibbled away) yes?

Doug Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:04pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

I would say start at $4 or $5 a slice because you are going to have to carve that down. And you charge for how many slices there would have been. Not how many you'll end up with. Because if you don't charge for all that extra cake that's going to get cut off, then it's coming out of your pocket.



Yes but if you're careful you can use just about everyting you cut off (that doesn't get nibbled away) yes?




depends upon the skill of the person doing the carving.

every noticed how much cake goes in the trash on Ace of Cakes -- sometimes it's almost 1/2 the cake they started with.

definitely charge for how many servings were in the "before" cake.

SJ169 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:05pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Quote:

Yes but if you're careful you can use just about everyting you cut off (that doesn't get nibbled away) yes?




haha ...i was thinking i could use whatever i cut away to make the rocks..haha i hardly ever get any left over cake scrap's...everyone in my house always eats them before i have a chance! haha

SJ169 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:15pm
post #9 of 17

OMG so i just googled safari cake's so i could maybe send this customer some other ideas and i found the link to the company that made this cake

Its made by Planet Cake and cost 2400!! , soo i think for that price the figures would be gumpaste or fondant

lol anywho i just thought that was interesting

-K8memphis Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:24pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ169

OMG so i just googled safari cake's so i could maybe send this customer some other ideas and i found the link to the company that made this cake

Its made by Planet Cake and cost 2400!! , soo i think for that price the figures would be gumpaste or fondant

lol anywho i just thought that was interesting




Wow gumpaste fondant and gold!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Geez it ain't that fancy is it? I guess it is.

SJ169 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:26pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Quote:

Wow gumpaste fondant and gold!!!




haha thats what i thought...but it probably would take a long time to make those animals...i think they look pretty realistic...but 2400.00 ... i dont know about that

Kandy4283 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:32pm
post #12 of 17

OMG!! For that cake!!!! WOW!! I don't think I would ever pay that much for a cake ouch! That would take a tole on my pocket book! That is a really cool cake though! Good Luck with all of it!

SJ169 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:35pm
post #13 of 17

LOL i know! soo i am still figuring out what i would charge..and she wants a price for if i made it will gumpaste animals and with store bought animals ...so we'll see i will keep you posted icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:36pm
post #14 of 17

Planet Cake is pretty much the gold, platinum and super diamond encrusted titanium "Kings" of the cake world. I can think of several others, but they (PC) are on a level of perfection not easily matched. If I were a person with money to burn, and people to impress, AND I lived in AU, I'd be getting me a Planet Cake creation!

-K8memphis Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:37pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ169

LOL i know! soo i am still figuring out what i would charge..and she wants a price for if i made it will gumpaste animals and with store bought animals ...so we'll see i will keep you posted icon_smile.gif




Be sure & let her know how much it cost--your price will be a dream come true after that!!

SJ169 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:41pm
post #16 of 17

well i know my price wont be anywhere close to that...plus i really really doubt i would be able to make animals look that realistic ...it really is an amazing cake..even more amazing that the animals are gumpaste

hmm if only i had 2400 to spend on a two year olds b-day cake!

cylstrial Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 12:13am
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

I would say start at $4 or $5 a slice because you are going to have to carve that down. And you charge for how many slices there would have been. Not how many you'll end up with. Because if you don't charge for all that extra cake that's going to get cut off, then it's coming out of your pocket.



Yes but if you're careful you can use just about everyting you cut off (that doesn't get nibbled away) yes?




Yes - that's true! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%