New To This

Decorating By asyouwish520 Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 10:52pm by Spoiled1

asyouwish520 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 5

Recently I have been trying to make better cakes, but I'm still having some issues. I have a few questions to clarify.
1. For fondant, I tried using the ready rolled fondant by Wilton, but it tasted terrible! None of my family liked it. What are some easy but still delicious recipes for it?

2. I want so badly to make flowers, but I can't seem to get the right consistency. What would you say your favorite recipe is for making flowers?

Thanks!

4 replies
bonniebakes Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 5

hi,

welcome to CC!

I can't help with a recipe for fondant, because I've never made it, but I have started to use Satin Ice fondant instead of Wilton. It's easy to work with and it tastes better than Wilton's (at least I think so).

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:33am
post #3 of 5

Hi and welcome!
I think Wiltons fondant is a great learning fondant. It has a good consistency and works well for modeling.

Marshmallow Fondant is easy to make and tastes yummy.
I do not make my own fondant because I just dont want to take a chance on a failure when I need it. I love Fonderific. Thier buttercream is my favorite and I keep it around all of the time.

I think you just need to play with some recipes and find one that works for you. You will find MANY threads on which one is the best one out there. I really think it is up to the user.

As for your flowers, are you talking about Buttercream or fondant flowers? I cannot give you any tips on BC flowers becasue I cant make them. lol
I do pretty well with fondant and gum paste but most of my flowers are "fantasy flowers" meaning they probably do not actually exist in nature with the exception of my roses, daisies and lilies. I just sit and play with them untill I like what they look like.

xstitcher Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 8:59am
post #4 of 5

If you want to make your own I would recommend MFF (Michele Foster's Fondant) it's very good to work with and tastes good to boot (especially when you add white chocolate to it!). Her recipe can be made with either milk/cream and if there is a lactose issue I would use water (I know I've read somewhere on one of her posts that she said when she's making dummy cakes she adds water instead of milk and omits the flavour.

Here's her recipe:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Recipes&sort=recipename&sort_dir=ASC&op=search&chname=X&chingredients=X&searchtext=michele+foster&cat_id=-1&x=&y=

You can add tylose to her fondant to make your gum paste flowers too.

The other option is purchasing premade fondant. If you want it edible don't buy Wilton (it's totally gross). Satin Ice is pretty good and used by lots of well know cake decorators.

Also if you have tylose you can make Nicholas Lodge's Recipe for gumpaste as well. It works really well for flowers as well. Here's the link:
http://www.nicholaslodge.com/gumpaste.htm

Spoiled1 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 5

I think the Marshmellow Fondant is the way to go. I make it myself and it has always turned out really good (and I am by far NOT a "professional" decorator). I just have to keep my kids away from it as they just want to sit and eat it before I can even get it to the cake. icon_razz.gif
I haven't tried the Satin Ice but have heard good things about it. Don't like the Wilton either.

HTH thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%