Pricing.... Would You Be Willing To Share???

Business By makeminepink Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 2:13pm by makeminepink

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 17

Would you be willing to share what you charge for the following?
8" round
10" round
9 x 12 sheet
11 x 15 sheet
12 x 18 sheet
what distinctions you make-- buttercream, fondant?
I am having a very difficult time pricing. My cakes will be sold at my daughter's coffee shop and we're in a small town--- know that doesn't matter to some though. Thanks!

16 replies
enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 17

$2.50 a serving buttercream and $4 a serving fondant regardless of the size of the cake. HTH icon_smile.gif

makeminepink Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 17

Ok, here's where I'm having a difficult time--- do you say that an 8" round serves 25 (from Wilton's chart) and therefore charge 62.50 for buttercream and 100 for fondant?

makeminepink Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 17

Sorry to harp on this.
I need some guidance--- do you set your prices based on the Wilton chart or Earlene's chart the same for a wedding-- which is what I feel these charts are assuming--- as you would a birthday?
Really-- 62.50 for an 8" round buttercream birthday cake?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 17

Yep, I just quoted a girl $60 for an 8" cake, and she placed her order.

Cheyanne25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheyanne25 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:19pm
post #6 of 17

Price your product for what its worth.

For a lot of people that works out to being $2.50-$3.50/serving for buttercream and $3.00-$4.00 for fondant. For some its more.

Depends on what ingredients your using, etc. You really need to sit down and figure out a cost of ingredients chart for yourself, at least to just give you an idea of what your spending on making your cakes.

Then there is your time, how much do you want to be paid? How long does the cake take you?

When you look at 'an 8 inch round birthday cake' and think $60 is alot, you're not even giving yourself the opportunity to find those customers who are going to look at it as 'a custom home made work of sugar art' for only $60?

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:34pm
post #7 of 17

I also looked at all of the pricing for the custom cake shops in the area and stayed in line with them also. They price around the same thing and I'm right in line.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 8:03pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeminepink

Really-- 62.50 for an 8" round buttercream birthday cake?

Not from me. No less than $96. I don't do just a "round buttercream birthday cake" though. I do a highly detailed, gourmet birthday cake, with fully decorated drums and ribbon trimmings. And I do quite comfortably at those prices too. icon_lol.gif

makeminepink Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 8:34pm
post #9 of 17

Thank you for your responses-- I appreciate your imput. I think it's like someone said-- so much of it is a confidence issue.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 9:59pm
post #10 of 17

Your cakes are gorgeous and worth every penny! Just remember, you are not the grocery with frozen cakes and premade buttercream. You are an artist and you do beautiful work!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:02pm
post #11 of 17

And just because someone has to say it, when you wholesale to another retail biz, not sell directly to the consumer yourself, you may need a different license. Around these parts, I'd have to add a manufacturing license, I think. Anyway, wholesaling frequently changes things. Don't set your daughter up for trouble with the HD.

makeminepink Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 12:14am
post #12 of 17

I bake and decorate them at her coffee shop, does that make a difference?

woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:26am
post #13 of 17

I went to the local bakery today to pick up a couple of snack for my nieces. They had 7 in rounds for $15.00. Not beautifully decorated.. just BC or ganache with simple borders. The 6 in were under $10. I bought five petit fours (and got a free sugar cookie for my son) for $5.50. I know that doesn't compare to what you do, but I just wanted to add that.

makeminepink Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:54am
post #14 of 17

Thank you-- I appreciate your reply. Can you imagine doing petit fours that cheaply?! I have nothing like that to compare-- only a grocery store bakery and a few at-home decorators. I don't know what they charge and don't feel like I can very well call up and say, "I'm trying to price my cakes. Can you give me a run-down of what you charge?" Wish I could! icon_smile.gif

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:08pm
post #15 of 17

Just a thought...if I want a dessert at a coffee shop or cafe I would expect to get a nice size serving and pay from 3.50-5.00 (the more expensive would be something ala mode.) I would not really care what the whole dessert looked like...just my serving.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:35pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeminepink

Would you be willing to share what you charge for the following?
8" round
10" round
9 x 12 sheet
11 x 15 sheet
12 x 18 sheet
what distinctions you make-- buttercream, fondant?
I am having a very difficult time pricing. My cakes will be sold at my daughter's coffee shop and we're in a small town--- know that doesn't matter to some though. Thanks!

Ok, here's a little background...I too live in a small town, and I'm the most expensive (compared to grocery store cakes), there is only one other bakery and they don't do wedding cakes. The closest other person to work with fondant is 15 miles away, and I charge more

8" round - $1.00/serv (20 serv.), w/ fondant- +$.50/serv
10" round -$1.00/serv. (35 serv.)w/ fondant- +$.50/serv.
9 x 13 sheet- $24.00 (24 serv.)
11 x 15 sheet-$35.00 (35 serv.)
12 x 18 sheet-$45.00 (54 serv.)
tiered cakes w/ bc-$2.25/serv.
tiered cakes w/ fondant-$2.75/serv

I just raised my prices for all single tiered cakes $1.00/serv. filling is +$.25/serv. torted w/ filling is +$.50/serv. Fondant accents (less than 1/2 cake covered in fondant) is +$.25/serv. covered in fondant is +$.50/serv.

HTH

Oh the closest lady 15 miles away charges $1.50/serv. for tiered bc cakes
and $2.50 for tiered fondant cakes (edited to add-she uses wilton fondant too!)
$15.00 for a 9x13
$10.00 for an 8" round
and so forth.....so i'm much more costly than her.....but she's not as anal about stuff being perfect like I am and some people like that! lol

makeminepink Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:13pm
post #17 of 17

Thanks so much for stating your prices-- you know what's coming. You don't charge nearly enough! icon_smile.gif I appreciate you for posting-- part of my hopes for this posting was to show that there's a HUGE difference in pricing out there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%