Newbie Needs Wasc Recipe Help!!

Decorating By Dacila77 Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 6:36am by xstitcher

Dacila77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dacila77 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 7

Hi Everyone!!
So, I have my first order for a wedding cake and would like to use the WASC recipe but, the chocolate version ~ it will be 8",10",12" and would like each layer to be 3-4" high. My question is how much batter or how many batches of this recipe will I need?

Thanks so much!

Alica

6 replies
staten93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staten93 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 7

Here is a link that will help you with that: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2322-White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Cake-WASC.html

Here is a link to Wiltons website that tells you batter amounts for different size cake pans: http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-party-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

I am sure you have the recipe for the chocolate already, but this has info on size and quanitity of cakes it will make.

Hope this answers your questions.

Dacila77 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:03am
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the info but, I'm still a little confused!! So, how many cups of batter does one batch of WASC make? I see at the bottom of the recipe it says what it makes but, are those single layers or double? Sorry if these are stupid questions!! Also, to make chococlate WASC it says just to substitute choc mix for vanilla and whole eggs for whites, I'm wondering if extra cocoa is needed because all of the extra flour and ingredients?? Once again sorry if these are stupid questions!!!

Thanks for and advice or help!!!

staten93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staten93 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:14am
post #4 of 7

The recipe makes about 12 cups of batter so the sizes indiciated are for single layers. I use this recipe for my chocolate cake: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7367-AMAZING-Chocolate-WASC-Cake.html Use the Duncan Hines if you can find it. If not use the triple chocolate cake mix by Betty Crocker.

You should be able to make three regular batches and one half batch. Use the Wilton chart to help with figuring out how much batter goes into each size cake.

Good luck. Post pictures when you are done.

Dacila77 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:21am
post #5 of 7

Ok, so I think I've found the info please someone correct me if I'm wrong!! I found the "Amazing Choc WASC" recipe so I'm going to use that and occording to what it makes and how many cups it says to fill the pans I believe it makes 13 cups and to make a 8, 10 and 12, all 4" high I would need 34 c or approx. 3 batches!! Does this sound right??

Dacila77 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:28am
post #6 of 7

He, he! We were posting at the same time!! Ok, so 12 cups it is and I'll probably just make 4 batches as I have another choc cake ordered the week after so I'll just freeze what I have left over!! Thanks so, much for your help!!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:36am
post #7 of 7

If your making Cakepro's Amazing Choc WASC recipe she states that:

This recipe makes enough batter to fill a 10" x 3" deep pan plus an 8" x 3" deep pan, or two 8" x 3" pans plus a 6" x 3" pan. The recipe may be halved.

Looks like Cakepro uses 3" deep pans. According to Wilton's Cake Baking/batter amounts chart you this recipe will yield 13 cups.

If your making your cakes 3" high then you will need:

1 layer of each

8" = 5 cups
10" = 8 cups
12" = 10.5 cups

Therefore, the total cups of batter needed to make 3" high cakes would be 23.5. Which means that 2 batches will be enough - you should get 26 cups of batter from the 2 batches.

If you want 4" heights then you will need the following:
8" - 3.5 x 2 = 7 cups
10" - 6 x 2 = 12 cups
12" - 7.5 x 2 = 15 cups

Therefore, you would need a total of 34 cups to yield 4" of cakes for each tier. Which would mean that you would need 3 batches (13 X 3 = 39 cups).

So you are correct!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%