Angel Food Cake - Recipe? Too Difficult To Carve?

Decorating By sweet_2th_fairy Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 7:40pm by Gingoodies

sweet_2th_fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_2th_fairy Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 4

I would like to make a lifesaver (the candy) shaped cake using angel food cake. I plan on using an 8" round and then cutting a hole in the middle and carving the sides a little to make it more rounded. Does anyone know if this is possible or will the angel food cake crumble too much because it isn't dense enough?

Also, does anyone have a delicious angel food cake recipe that they'd like to share? icon_smile.gif

3 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 4

angle food cake really isn't meant for carving at all -- it tends to break apart in big chunks.

better to bake a pound cake or use the WASC recipe.

also -- save time -- use an actual angel food cake or a bundt pan cake or other type of tube cake -- the hole will baked right in for you.

sweet_2th_fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_2th_fairy Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the feedback. I forgot about buying a premade one. icon_redface.gif I'm making this cake as part of an anniversary gift, but the couple is "borderline diabetic" so we're trying to cut back on the sugar. Does anyone have another suggestion other than pound cake or the WASC recipe? I've used both of those before and they're great suggestions, but I was hoping to do something less sweet.

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 4

Just a note of info here.. Angel food cake is not sugar free. Fat free yes. I know there are sugar free, pre-made angel food cakes out there, and there may be a recipe somewhere. But in general, they contain a fair amount of sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%