Designer Stencils.. Have You Used Them?

Decorating By HarleyDee Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 7:01pm by PinkZiab

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 11

I'm going to buy some for my display cakes for my bridal fair next month. Are they flexible? I'd like to use them on a round cake, and just wondered if they contoured well. TIA icon_smile.gif

10 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 11

I found mine to be a disaster icon_sad.gif, but maybe I just don't have the knack!

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 11

Hi, I want to invest in the near future in the cake stencils too. I have recently read some threads in the forum that the stencils are a little difficult to work with. I would suggest buying stencils from craft store and trying those out before paying the big bucks for the designer ones. I just cut my own stencil, I going to practice on a dummy cake with thinned royal icing.
Once I have the technque under my belt then, thats when I'll invest.
HTH
Hammy

HarleyDee Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 11

Hmm, ok. That's a bummer that they're hard to work with..

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 11

I have never tried that brand in particular because I find them to be way too expensive. I either cut my own or buy stencils at the craft and hobby stores for MUCH cheaper.

HarleyDee Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:10pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

I have never tried that brand in particular because I find them to be way too expensive. I either cut my own or buy stencils at the craft and hobby stores for MUCH cheaper.

I thought about that, I just didn't know if there was a certain thickness of stencil that worked better for royal icing.

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:28pm
post #7 of 11

RI for stenciling??? I was under the impression that you used thick BC and sort of "spackled" it on. Am I wrong?

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:35pm
post #8 of 11

You can use butter cream, thinned RI, luster dust, airbrush, coco powder, there aren't any limits. Not sure about the spackling of the BC, how does that work? I've seen the tutorial videos for BC, they use a scrapper to smooth it on and the BC is like a creammy consistency.
Hammy

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:38pm
post #9 of 11

I started using colored piping gel. Keeps a shiny glossy finish, cleans up well with a damp Q-tip (for smudges and smears). Here is a pic of a dummy tier I did for a client ordering a design (from Designer Stencils) later this year. So far so good, it needs a little fine tuning, but it's gonna be awesome.
LL

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:50pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSquad

You can use butter cream, thinned RI, luster dust, airbrush, coco powder, there aren't any limits. Not sure about the spackling of the BC, how does that work? I've seen the tutorial videos for BC, they use a scrapper to smooth it on and the BC is like a creammy consistency.
Hammy

yep, that is what I am talking about.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:01pm
post #11 of 11

I use royal icing (not thinned, actually a rather thick consistency) and spread it on with either a mini-offset or a bench scraper, depending on the size and detail of the stencil.

That piping gel looks hot though... may have to try that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%