My Own Brand Of Vent...

Decorating By blu_canary Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 7:42pm by LaBellaFlor

JoJo0855 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo0855 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:56pm
post #31 of 35
Quote:
Quote:

(Look what happened with our kids and schools when someone decided that kids couldn't get bad grades anymore because it would hurt their feeeeeeeelinnnnnnngs. Confused )

GRRRRR ... don't get me started!

blu_canary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blu_canary Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:08pm
post #32 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeTee

also, sorta still on topic...I wish Wilton would just give up on fondant and revive the old school buttercream techniques. I found an old Wilton instruction book from 1957 and the borders and piping they have in it is just CRAZY awesome. Very intricate and fancy, similar to the Lambeth style. Some of the cakes are gaudy, but some are stunning and there is no freaking way you could do it justice if you tried to replicate it in fondant. I'm sure there's quite a lot of professional and amatuer decorators who would be interested in learning it

I totally love that idea!!! I love fondant for the sculpting, but one of my all time favorite cakes is buttercream. Was done by Merci Beaucoup Cakes. Marc made these insane buttercream roses and flowers that cascaded down this 3-tier cake. Seriously, I nearly cried.

If Wilton would just concentrate on what they do best, I would LOVE to learn some of their fancier buttercream and Royal work. Two courses wasn't nearly enough to get my fix. Plus, buttercream seems easier for me to learn in person, rather than by book. maybe because hand position is so important and I get more from watching.

That is, when I'm not sliding down my rainbow gazing at the unicorns and playing tag with my cute and fuzzy bunnies!! *ROFLMAO*

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 2:12pm
post #33 of 35

k8, luv your list! So true!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

CeeTee, if you check Martha Stewart's website, she's "bringing back" a lot of the good 'ole BC technique cakes. (As a long time BC'er, I say "bringing back" tongue in cheek 'coz I sit here thinking, "you mean they were out?" icon_eek.gif ) icon_lol.gif

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:02pm
post #34 of 35

As a Wilton Instructor I am mixed.

I love the fact they cover basics in the BC and royal icings and the basics in fondant and gumpaste.

What it does it gets people interested to wanting to learn more (thus going through all the courses). Then the books are purchased, ICES registrations etc go up.

I am one of those teachers who allows other fondants but am also the first to say "if it turns out to not be working right I can't and won't take the time in class to make your MMF to fix it and you have to revert to a box of Wilton."

grammynan,

As for anyone looking down another's nose here on another... it just means they have further to fall when their soap box collapses. icon_lol.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 7:42pm
post #35 of 35

k8 I agree with your list, thats too funny. OPersonally, evryone has an opinion and everyone has a right to express. I do feel some people say their opionion in a rude manner and thats just not neccessary. At the same time, I feel a lot of people are just a little too sensitive.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%