My Own Brand Of Vent...

Decorating By blu_canary Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 7:42pm by LaBellaFlor

blu_canary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blu_canary Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 35

After a recent run-in with a Wilton teacher who really needed to lighten the heck up about fondant, and a few posts that leave me wondering...

Do we collectively need to lighten the heck up?

One of the reasons this is what I want to do when I grow up is because cake is such a happy thing. No one ever buys a cake because of something bad. Cake is a celebration food!

Ok, as a decorator we have the customer's/recipient's satisfaction to worry about. But the vast majority of them aren't as hard on us as we are on ourselves (and a lot of times, each other).

And I know, as someone who isn't required to make money doing this (yet), I'm probably less under the gun than someone who has to maintain a storefront.

I just want everyone to be a little happier! We chose to work with sugar for a reason and it wasn't so we could lecture the new people, drive ourselves crazy and scare the poo out of anyone who dared to dream.

I dunno. The tone of the boards just seems to have turned a little south and I wanted to do my own little cake PSA that cake is happy! Have fun, dadgummit!

Don't make me smite you with my spatula!

34 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 35

True that. Good stuff.

Consider me blusplatula-ed!!

icon_biggrin.gif

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 35

Amen.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 35

I just want to know what the heck happened with the fondant-hating teacher!

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:02pm
post #5 of 35

i missed that one.

i just got done teaching a wilton course 1 (i didn't know till the last minute it was going to be a wilton course lol - it was for a 4h group) i'm not that skilled with fondant but i love its versatility for borders accents figurines etc.

hensor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hensor Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:14pm
post #6 of 35

I would have to agree with blu_canary...these boards are getting pretty scary lately.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:23pm
post #7 of 35

It's just the summertime...heat makes everyone grouchier.

And remember too, with as many ladies as we have here, Aunt Flo's gotta be visiting a big percentage of them at a time. I wouldn't say we were as hormonal as the pregnancy boards I've belonged to in the past, but still...

Wait and see, in the fall when our icing behaves a bit better and we can take the kids outside to play without getting heat exhaustion, we'll all be a little bit happier.

I'd love to hear the story about the fondant too.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:25pm
post #8 of 35

I have read some that was not the happiest people, but there are some good ones as well. I like the information and the encourgement of others. That is why I am here.

Old saying goes 'if you can't say something nice then don't say anything'. I agree we are not all perfect and some of us have much further to go than others. But we all had to start somewhere.

I'm happy.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:27pm
post #9 of 35

It's just hot, the oven is on and the buttercream is not acting right! LOL...maybe the smell of cinnamon and nutmeg in the fall/winter will lighten us up a bit. Thanks.

blu_canary Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:27pm
post #10 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I just want to know what the heck happened with the fondant-hating teacher!

Oh, nothing really bad, but let's just say I dropped my Course 3 and probably won't take Course 4.

I'm really glad I took her Courses 1 & 2. She's a great teacher.

But....

I like fondant...but that's mostly because I really like sculpting. I like sculpting the cake itself and I like making the details out of fondant and gum paste. I don't actually take fondant as a personal affront. Then again, she's asked to push Wilton fondant...so that would have to make anyone edgy!

I suppose it doesn't make sense to everyone, but I would rather turn to my books and CC to learn fondant from people who consider it an art form rather than from people who consider it a cross to bear.

When I imagine my happy place? A commercial kitchen up to my eyeballs in orders for sculpted cakes and sugar work. Whenever I decorate anything, I tend to drift to my happy place. My former teacher was old-school buttercream, and while there is nothing wrong with that (I prefer the soft look of buttercream roses and flowers ala CakeGenie, myself), she was really ruining my cake buzz!

K8memphis-: It was your post earlier about the lawsuits that really got me thinking about this. You are so right! We spend so much time scaring each other about lawsuits, licensed kitchens, and food friendly utensils (the gloves were my favorite) sometimes we seem to forget the fun!

Here's to us all being blusplatula-ed! icon_lol.gif

blu_canary Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:30pm
post #11 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDelightful

It's just hot, the oven is on and the buttercream is not acting right! LOL...maybe the smell of cinnamon and nutmeg in the fall/winter will lighten us up a bit. Thanks.

*LMAO* Y'know, between that and the PMS, there might be a lot of truth to this!

Hmmm...counting the days to see where I am and if it's aunt flo making ME the cranky one! icon_lol.gif

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:30pm
post #12 of 35

I figure none of us really knows what goes on in the kitchen of our favorite restaurant or cake shop. Not that we should not practice food safety, BUT some of the stuff that people come up with around here, just takes the fun out of baking/decorating. I can promise I won't scrape buttercream off the floor and re-use it, but I can't promise I won't smooth it with a putty knife from the local hardware store. I did wash it in hot soapy antibacterial Lemon Joy first.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:37pm
post #13 of 35

I haven't taken the Wilton fondant class, so this is just an outsider's opinion...

Wilton is the master of the American buttercream-iced style of cakes. They've been teaching hobby bakers how to do it well since my grandma was a newlywed. Buttercream is an art form and someday when I move somewhere cooler and less humid I'm going to master it icon_biggrin.gif

But Wilton is kind of lagging behind in the fondant department. A lot of the fondant tools they sell don't work very well and a lot of their ideas are kind of dated. I think you could learn more from books, especially the British books on fondant, than you could in a Wilton course. Of course, CakeCentral is a great place to learn things too...I've already read more than I'll probably have time to try in my lifetime, all filed away until I need it, assuming I can remember it then icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:38pm
post #14 of 35

I agree 100%!!
cakes are fun, and when cakes become "work" I will not do them anymore.
Once I lose the passion for it, there is no point to make cakes.
I love making them, I love seeing peoples faces when they pick up their cakes.. and I love it when they are repeat customers because it reassures me that I know what I'm doing.lol icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

klat7292 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klat7292 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:45pm
post #15 of 35

Good one Dee!! icon_biggrin.gif LOL...I was just about to post to another thread about giving up when I came across this one...this is why we all love it soo much and if it's in your blood, then no matter if you are having a terrible day or a fantastic one, VOILA! We all end up here getting re-booted for the next round!! Thanks CC'ers!! thumbs_up.gif

BTW, I am going to my FIRST carved cake/airbrushing class this weekend and I'm still a little nervous about it b/c I am NOT naturally artistic, and I've spent a TON of $$, but you know what? I know that it's in my blood and I'm determined to get out of 'the box'!! I will have a blast no matter how the cake comes out!! Keep cakin' everyone!!

P.S. If there are any Louisana cakers that are looking or willing to take in a novice under their wings, then let me know!! I'm sooooooo ready for more hands on instruction!! icon_lol.gif

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 7:59pm
post #16 of 35

I agree that Wilton is behind time on the fondant end. I recently took a gumpaste/fondant class just to see what was new. Instructor was a little snoddy and thought she knew it all. However, in the end she had never branched out from Wilton products or methods and was amazed at the nifty toys I had that were not Wilton. I truely believe Wilton is a good place to start if you are new at cake decorating.

Hang in there Klat7292, I don't think of my self being a naturally artistic person either, but technique can be taught. I can learn technique and if I have enough time to think on it I can be somewhat creative. Just staying inspired helps me go a long way.

teachingmyself Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teachingmyself Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 8:06pm
post #17 of 35

To cheer you all up and to get great laughs check this site out at cakewrecks.blogspot.com. Guarantee (had to double check the spelling after viewing this site) it will make someone out there laugh!

Enilajar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enilajar Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 8:20pm
post #18 of 35

I'm fairly new to the "fondant" cake decorating world (since march '09) but I have totally noticed the divide between "Team Buttercream" and "Team fondant". I'm left-handed and it is SO hard to get it smooth when your hand dips in the icing! icon_razz.gif So, I do fondant and get the flak from Buttercream Devotees who sniff at my 3-d creations that would be impossible with buttercream.

And, whenever I am decorating a cake (usually as the sun rises @ 6icon_surprised.gifo am and I realize that I've been up all night) a lyric to a "50 cent" song pops into my head... (yes, cake decorators listen to rap)- "I love it...way more than I hate it."

blu_canary Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 8:47pm
post #19 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachingmyself

To cheer you all up and to get great laughs check this site out at cakewrecks.blogspot.com. Guarantee (had to double check the spelling after viewing this site) it will make someone out there laugh!

Ok, I seriously needed this! I'm laughing so hard I'm crying.

Cheyanne25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheyanne25 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 9:01pm
post #20 of 35

I agree that cakes are (and should be fun) to do. I think this is probably one of the largest influences that the majority of those on here took up caking, myself included.

But I've also got to say that I appreciate some of the posts that are a little less 'sprinkles and rainbows'. A lot of people are thinking about doing cakes as a business, have newly started their own cake shop, or have been at it for years. Cakes might be all sweetness and smiles (usually) but business is anything but.

I like getting a real view of things when it comes to the world of cake business. And as long as you are selling your cakes it is a business.

I'd be mighty unprepared if all I ever saw were posts about how all customers write two page emails about how much they loved their cake, everyone can get their buttercream as smooth as SugarShacks in minutes, all cakes bake up perfectly level and moist, competitors always politely ask if they can use your photos on their websites, and customers have taken to writing blank cheques and telling us to fill it in for however much we think the cake is worth.

I'd rather go into the world of cakes knowing that the sprinkles and rainbows come with the bad, ugly and indifferent.

* Edited to add: No disrespect meant to OP and others. I completely respect your point of view, just thought I'd offer another one.

JoJo0855 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo0855 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 9:05pm
post #21 of 35

I lucked out with my fondant instructor ... she taught the Wilton class, but did not insist on using Wilton fondant. She explained that all brands have their own 'personality' and what works for some may not work for others.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 10:29pm
post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyanne25

I'd be mighty unprepared if all I ever saw were posts about how all customers write two page emails about how much they loved their cake, everyone can get their buttercream as smooth as SugarShacks in minutes, all cakes bake up perfectly level and moist, competitors always politely ask if they can use your photos on their websites, and customers have taken to writing blank cheques and telling us to fill it in for however much we think the cake is worth.

That is really well written! thumbs_up.gif

While I understand the sentiment behind the "Can't say something nice then shut the heck up" theory, to me it's just looking thru rose-colored glasses and pretending all is right in the world. There's nothing wrong with giving constructive criticism that helps a person grow in their craft. (Look what happened with our kids and schools when someone decided that kids couldn't get bad grades anymore because it would hurt their feeeeeeeelinnnnnnngs. icon_confused.gif )

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 10:44pm
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyanne25

I agree that cakes are (and should be fun) to do. I think this is probably one of the largest influences that the majority of those on here took up caking, myself included.

But I've also got to say that I appreciate some of the posts that are a little less 'sprinkles and rainbows'. A lot of people are thinking about doing cakes as a business, have newly started their own cake shop, or have been at it for years. Cakes might be all sweetness and smiles (usually) but business is anything but.

I like getting a real view of things when it comes to the world of cake business. And as long as you are selling your cakes it is a business.

I'd rather go into the world of cakes knowing that the sprinkles and rainbows come with the bad, ugly and indifferent.

* Edited to add: No disrespect meant to OP and others. I completely respect your point of view, just thought I'd offer another one.

Hear hear!

-K8memphis Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 10:50pm
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_canary

K8memphis-: It was your post earlier about the lawsuits that really got me thinking about this. You are so right! We spend so much time scaring each other about lawsuits, licensed kitchens, and food friendly utensils (the gloves were my favorite) sometimes we seem to forget the fun!

Thank you very much. I'm taking it this was a good influence yes?

This is so intriguing to me--I had a raucous and blatantly opposite effect on Maryjsgirl in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Everything is a chemical.

'Organic' vanilla = orchids

I don't get your point.

By your definition feces is also a mere chemical, doesn't mean I want it in my cake.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Apparently I was not specific enough for her in the venerable mix versus scratch thread.

We need to wield the magic blusplatting splatula-la her way.

icon_biggrin.gif

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 5:38am
post #25 of 35
Quote:

ugh, I remeber a thread from a while back that dealt with copyright/food service/creative licence laws that got kinda ugly no thanks to me. I wasn't meaning to come across as rude, but I did forget that just because I know most of the obscure BS laws and their crazy red taped loopholes doesn't mean everyone else does.

I have since learned I'm one of those CCers who is very 'dry' in their delivery online. I'm not the only one and I think some of the flames that have popped up have been due to misunderstandings and misperceptions of intents rather than any real malice on anyone's part.

But forums have their cycles of coolness and coldness. No matter what, CC is still an awesome place!

---

also, sorta still on topic...I wish Wilton would just give up on fondant and revive the old school buttercream techniques. I found an old Wilton instruction book from 1957 and the borders and piping they have in it is just CRAZY awesome. Very intricate and fancy, similar to the Lambeth style. Some of the cakes are gaudy, but some are stunning and there is no freaking way you could do it justice if you tried to replicate it in fondant. I'm sure there's quite a lot of professional and amatuer decorators who would be interested in learning it

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 11:20am
post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachingmyself

OMG - I am completely grossed out and laughing at the same time, this site is hilarious. I'm off to look at some more, but check this bit out with the feet (dry reaching!) The fact that someone actually made these out of cake! icon_surprised.gif
http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2009/02/thisll-cure-that-freaky-fetish.html

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 12:25pm
post #27 of 35

Ugh...My daughter is 10 and wants to be a foot surgeon for some unknown reason. I have the anti-foot fetish and would be happy to never have to see feet. She loves feet, and when she saw those cakes she thought they were awesome. icon_eek.gif

markiesjules Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
markiesjules Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 12:44pm
post #28 of 35
Quote:

Don't make me smite you with my spatula!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif .....smite....too funny!!

Cakewrecks is HYSTERICAL!!! The 2nd best cake site!!!

indydebiicon_sad.gifLook what happened with our kids and schools when someone decided that kids couldn't get bad grades anymore because it would hurt their feeeeeeeelinnnnnnngs. Confused ).......soooooooooooo true.

grammynan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grammynan Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:22pm
post #29 of 35

I have to admit that I go through spells where I just don't want to get on Cake Central because all the friendly criticism makes me feel inferior. I've been selling cakes for a long time and I think I'm a good decorator, but sometimes all the advice, hints, and tricks makes me feel like I'm not up to "Cake Central Snuff"! Then I get discouraged and question whether I want to keep doing this.

I am a buttercream only decorator and I've learned a tremendous amount of stuff on CC that has helped me improve my craft, but sometimes I feel like people on CC look down upon those of us who don't do fondant. And that makes me feel bad.

Thank you for this thread. I think it's long overdue. Some of you may think " whatever is she talking about!!" This is just how I feel. Thank you for letting me vent. icon_sad.gif

-K8memphis Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:30pm
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammynan

I have ... but sometimes I feel like people on CC look down upon those of us who don't do fondant. And that makes me feel bad.

I think most of us look down on some of us for a plethora of reasons.

sheet cakes
shortening
box mix
scratch
store bought
home made
all edible
not all edible
plastic
old fashioned
new fangled
grocery store cake