Black Mmf?

Decorating By cotabeth Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 4:03pm by selfconclusion12

cotabeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cotabeth Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 25

Help! does anyone know how I can get MMF black? Can I add cocoa to get a base color first then add the gel color? I wasn't sure if adding the cocoa would change the consistency? Any feedback would be great! Thanks! Beth

24 replies
Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 25

I don't like adding cocoa because, yes, it does change the texture. I just add Wilton black coloring. For a full batch of MMF, it will take almost the entire bottle of gel, but if you want a true dark black color, that's what you have to do. Also, black MMF definitely needs to sit overnight. The color will deepen. So when you think you've got a reall dark grey color, let it rest overnight and come back in the morning...it will probably be a perfect black.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 2:51pm
post #3 of 25

i refuse to make it.

i buy it premade -- SatinIce

and if by chance I do need a small amount and have none of the premade on hand, then I use AmeriColor, not Wilton, to color it. AmeriColor gives much better results all around for all its colors, especially it's reds and black.

You can get both at Global Sugar Art

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

i refuse to make it.

i buy it premade -- SatinIce

and if by chance I do need a small amount and have none of the premade on hand, then I use AmeriColor, not Wilton, to color it. AmeriColorgives much better results all around for all its colors, especially it's reds and black.

You can get both at

After making black fondant to cover a Guitar Hero cake, I swore I'd never make black again. I took the advice of others and started with brown then kept adding black (Wilton was all I had at the time) and it still took almost two jars! Never again. I'm with Doug. I buy Satin Ice - or use Americolor Super Black for small amounts.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 25

Nope - will not make black and will not make red. I buy Satin Ice.
All of the time, grief, kneading, problems, frustration, money, getting upset, wating to throw it against the wall and sometimes in the end having to toss the stuff is not worth my trying to make these colors.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 3:54pm
post #6 of 25

I just made it yesterday! It came out great!. I used cocoa powder when I was making it....and added aprox tablesppoon of black color.....if you don't bite the bulliy and put a load of color in,,,, it wont get black! HTH

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 25

I have to agree with most everyone else. If you have the time and opportunity to purchase black Satin Ice fondant, by all means DO IT! It will save you a lot of grief and a major headache. In my original post, I assumed you were in a position were you HAD to make black MMF.

WildSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WildSugar Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 25

I make the chocolate MMF recipe i have and add a ton of wilton black coloring. The only thing i had a problem with was it is HARD to roll. I'm not sure if thats because i keep putting too much sugar in it, or if it's the coco powder. *shrugs* Like a previous poster said though, mix it to a dark gray and let it sit. Even just a couple hours and mine darkens up.

Danielle1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle1218 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:53pm
post #9 of 25

I buy mine too....Satin Ice. I would never try to color it myself. UGH!!!

Danielle1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle1218 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:53pm
post #10 of 25

I buy mine too....Satin Ice. I would never try to color it myself. UGH!!!

madgeowens Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:46am
post #11 of 25

Its really not bad to make it yourself if you start making it with cocoa, and add enough black

mrsmudrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmudrash Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:51am
post #12 of 25

It's not that bad as long as you add the black coloring to the marshmallows while they're melted...BEFORE adding the powdered sugar. That way you don't have to spend hours kneeding it and kneeding it. Just wear gloves when you do add the sugar and knead because it will stain your hands. Have fun! icon_smile.gif - and yes, it is easier just buying it...but it works to make it too! icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 5:14am
post #13 of 25

I always coat my hands real well and that helps keep the color from staying on your hands.

cotabeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cotabeth Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:46pm
post #14 of 25

thanks everyone for your responses/suggestiosn...I'll be giving it a try next week! Beth

madgeowens Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 2:57am
post #15 of 25

check my latest leather jacket I posted yesterday, I used my own mmf, and the blacks ok I think.

Win Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 2:24pm
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

check my latest leather jacket I posted yesterday, I used my own mmf, and the blacks ok I think.

I love both of your jackets, but I see a big difference in the two black fondants... (and, please, I truly don't mean to be snarky sounding.) I'm just wondering if they are both homemade black fondant? The Harley Davidson jacket just seems to be a richer black...

madgeowens Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 9:54pm
post #17 of 25

no your not snarkey, it is darker black...its store bought and at 35.00 it better be better haha.....does not taste better though.....I like both looks really....one looks newer lol

madgeowens Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:14am
post #18 of 25

Also the stiff I bought, cracked.the entire collar needed replacing the following day....on the home made mmf....no problems with cracks icon_smile.gif

Win Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:25pm
post #19 of 25

I know... the brand names have the advantage of depth of color and richness, but they dry so hard (like, I can knock on it the same as a hollow tree) --and are so expensive! Not a great investment for hobby bakers like myself. I'm not terribly impressed with any I have come across. --other than the black. I have graduated to Michele Foster's fondant for homemade and now just use MMF for emergencies, dummies, and to cover the cakeboard. Her recipe is so mellow tasting and yet works like a charm for covering, etc. I have not tried coloring it black but for small pieces like shoes, etc.

nanikins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanikins Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:40pm
post #20 of 25

The tuxedo cake in my pics is MMF and I used Americolor super black for that. I thought it made a really nice black. I also put color in the melted marshmallows before adding to the sugar. That and lots of shortening on my hands.

I sometimes start out with gloves when making dark colors, but always end up taking them off before I'm through. I can never tell if it's the right consistency without feeling it.

madgeowens Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:36am
post #21 of 25

I find that people like my home made and don't like the whats the name...sugar ice or something....so its cheap to make to boot....use cocoa in it to start and the black will go into it....if I used more black color it would have gotten blacker, but i didn.t know about the taste.........it smells so chocolaty yum

selfconclusion12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
selfconclusion12 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:57am
post #22 of 25

I have never bought fondant (other than wilton, which was my first time making a cake), so I always make MMF, and I agree it is hard to get it black. I add some into the marshmallows while they are still melted and again when I am kneading. I let it sit for a few hours and it is BLACK. Good luck.

madgeowens Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 5:09am
post #23 of 25

xstitcher let me in on a great tip with making a chocolate base, and so I added cocoa powder in place of a bit of ps and then added the black, and well its the first time I was able to successfully make black..check my latest leather jacket out....its not as black as the first one I made with store bought, but I got the color I wanted for that jacket so I am thrilled to make a breakthrough on black haha

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 5:31am
post #24 of 25

add cocoa powder to the melted mm then add the black gel to make it black... then add some CORN SYRUP this will help it be able to roll out better when its finished... add you ps and is should be great!! I make black all the time (cant see spending 4x what i spend on white satin ice on black)

selfconclusion12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
selfconclusion12 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:03pm
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeandDazzle

add cocoa powder to the melted mm then add the black gel to make it black... then add some CORN SYRUP this will help it be able to roll out better when its finished... add you ps and is should be great!! I make black all the time (cant see spending 4x what i spend on white on black)

Thanks for this!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%