Using 'regular' Gel Colors In Airbrush?

Decorating By chilz822 Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 6:39pm by miny

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:20pm
post #1 of 15

Can I do this (thinned with alcohol), or do I have to buy specific colors meant for the airbrush?

-Thanking you in advance
icon_smile.gif

14 replies
Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 15

I have tried this and it did not work for me. The gel color did not completely dissolve in the alcohol so it came out in splotches.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 15

In a pinch, dilute with clear alcohol, mix well, and strain through a coffee filter. Colors made for airbrushes are better, but Murphy's Law always applies icon_lol.gif

chilz822 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 2:38pm
post #4 of 15

Good to know, I'm about to take the airbrush plunge and that was an answer I hadn't been able to find.
Thanks so much!

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 15

I just used my new airbrush for the first time the other day Chilz... I had the same question.

I ended up using Wilton gel (black) and mixing it in vodka. I didn't mix it well the first time and a glob of gel plugged up the gun (good thing i was still testing, not spraying the cake).

So the next time I got a bottle I could seal... I added gel and vodka to it and secured the lid. Then I shook vigorously it like no one's business until I could see there were no more globs.

Poured it into the airbrush, sprayed some tests... liked what I saw and sprayed the cake.

This was also good because I had left over mix... my biggest worry was running out and re-mixing a batch and ending up with a different shade. The airbrush actually went through a lot of color pretty fast.

chilz822 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 15

on Americolor's official site if you use coupon code 'cupcake', they give you 20% off! Between that and the deals that Harbor Freight has on brushes and compressors, I think I'm just going to finally go for it!

Darthburn Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 3:55pm
post #7 of 15

Well, that reminds me too... I didn't know whether to mention or not.

Instead of buying a Kopycake airbrush at over $200.. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a small 40 psi Oil-Less air compressor that came with the nice airbrush kit for like $70.

That thing worked like a champ! It comes with a moisture trap so no worries there and the air pressure was nice and constant.
Quiet and powerful... I love that thing.

I say GO FOR IT Chilz... I did. I don't regret it. I was nervous... I bought it in May but just used it for the first time the other day.

Hope that helps!

chilz822 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 3:59pm
post #8 of 15

Do you think 40psi is enough? The 50psi is only $10 more... and I know squat about psi's!
icon_biggrin.gif

Darthburn Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:06pm
post #9 of 15

I was worried about too much pressure and blowing holes in the BC or the fondant so I went 40. That way it was not too much but more powerful sounding than 30 psi. LOL

For $10 more you can get the 50 psi just to have it, and then put an inline adjustable pressure regulator and drop it to what you want. That way you always have more, but adjust to what you need.

I can tell you, 40 psi was plenty... it was getting to know the airbrush and how to adjust its flow that needing the most attention. I actually think at 40 psi if i tried to paint the BC part of my cake, it would have been too much and blown a hole. I might need a regulator too.

Those Kopycakes are only like 40 psi but adjustable.

chilz822 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:14pm
post #10 of 15

great info, thanks so much!
40psi it is!

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:15pm
post #11 of 15

Isn't it the spray power? Check it first because if it's very strong you may end up with a hole in your cake!!! icon_surprised.gif I recomend you to invest in the airbrush colors, it's a lot less work and last for lots of cakes

Darthburn Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:16pm
post #12 of 15

Dont forget to post some pictures when you are finished making a masterpiece with it!!! Good Luck! icon_smile.gif

chilz822 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:18pm
post #13 of 15

I'm getting it mainly so I don't have to deal with trying to make black and red fondant (or buying it!) anymore... UGH!

Darthburn Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:10pm
post #14 of 15

Since we're on the topic... doesn anyone know how to airbrush and not make the fondant so shiny afterwards? The black covered well and I actually liked it for Jack's jacket... but if I wanted to do a different color and not have it glossy, what do you do?

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 6:39pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilz822

I'm getting it mainly so I don't have to deal with trying to make black and red fondant (or buying it!) anymore... UGH!

I know what you mean, I got mine for the same reason, specially because I used to work with pastry pride a lot before I felt in love with SMBC!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%