Just Tasted Fondant For The First Time....

Decorating By three_sets_of_twins Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 6:23pm by three_sets_of_twins

three_sets_of_twins Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 10:45am
post #1 of 9

And it aint half bad!
I keep reading about how people peel it off the cake....Why?!
I am no where near artistic enough to dive into the world of fondant, but i had a birthday cake ordered from another homebaker. She makes the fondant herself. Yeah it was sweet, but get enough cake on your fork along with the fondant and no worries!
I didnt eat all my fondant but I had most of it! So my verdict, pretty darn good!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

8 replies
Cheyanne25 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 10:49am
post #2 of 9

I don't mind the taste of fondant (Satin Ice is pretty good actually). What sets me off is the texture, but I'm a big texture person for all foods.

kel58 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:21am
post #3 of 9

I think so a lot of people its the texture that they done like. I guess you expect soft icing on your cake and when you get something firmer its a little off putting. I done mind fondant cake either. The wilton fondant on the other hand is gross! Its all about what stuff you use. Glad you enjoyed it!
Kel

Evoir Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:02pm
post #4 of 9

I have found that the way to get the best of both worlds is to cover your cakes with BC or spreadable ganache, and then put a thinner layer of fondant over that to get the smooth, elegant look that only fondant csan truly give (IMO).

Loucinda Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:17pm
post #5 of 9

That was one very cool aspect of the vendors room at the ICES convention, all of the "big" fondant makers were there with samples for you to try! IMO Choco-pan was the hands down best in flavor!

blu_canary Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:30pm
post #6 of 9

I did a cake for my grandparent's 60th anniversary. Buttercream with MFF "Duff" roses around it. I didn't do an all fondant cake because my husband was convinced the people at the party wouldn't "get" fondant. (I think mostly because he doesn't get it, but I digress....) Do you know that my grandfather saved all the roses and leaves I had to strip off to cut the cake, put them in a bowl, and a few days later was still munching on them like candy? I was totally shocked.

Grandma later asked me why I didn't cover the whole cake with this wonderful stuff like they do on TV. She had seen my other cakes and knew I could do it. She loved the cake I did, but she's in love with MFF. Who knew?!

Texas_Rose Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:58pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_canary

Grandma later asked me why I didn't cover the whole cake with this wonderful stuff like they do on TV. She had seen my other cakes and knew I could do it. She loved the cake I did, but she's in love with MFF. Who knew?!

My mom is like that. I put butter rum flavoring in my MMF and she nibbles on it whenever she comes over.

Cheyanne25 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 2:00pm
post #8 of 9

My sister's hubby-to-be is the pickiest eater in the world, hardly likes anything. So you can imagine the surprise when he not only liked a cake that I made, but LOVED the fondant. lol

three_sets_of_twins Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 6:23pm
post #9 of 9

LOL
wow.
I think the lady did do spreadable ganache under the fondant. True the texture isnt what you expect on a cake, but hey it sure makes a gorgeous cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%