Lots Of Help Please! First Timer

Decorating By kingamy1 Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 4:55am by kingamy1

kingamy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kingamy1 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:32am
post #1 of 9

Okay I thought I knew what I was doing but apparently I do not! I baked a cake, carved it, and then tried to cover it in fondant...the fondant would not stick and then it seemed my cake(out of the box funfetti) was just way too soft or moist. Does anyone have any suggestions for me. I really want to make a special cake for my niece. I carved a t-rex from rice krispies and was able to cover that easily with fondant. So my questions are as follows: what kind of cake holds up the best with fondant? should I pre-ice with buttercream before putting on the fondant? thank you so so much for all your help!! God Bless!

8 replies
cupcakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakers Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:43am
post #2 of 9

Freeze your cake first then carve always buttercream your cake first thats your glue! Good Luck

txsteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txsteph Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:43am
post #3 of 9

You ahve to have a layer of BC under the fondant, that is what makes it stick to the cake. It stuck to the RKT just fine because of the marshmallows in it are sticky to begin with. I have had issues with funfetti cake before. I personally would not use it for any type of carved cake. HTH

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 6:43am
post #4 of 9

Fondant definitely needs something to adhere to and you will find that the majority of the time it is buttercream under the fondant. As for the cake I would recommend trying the WASC recipe (I use the original version) it will hold up really well under the fondant. Here's the link for the recipes:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Recipes&sort=recipename&sort_dir=ASC&op=search&chname=X&chingredients=X&searchtext=wasc&cat_id=-1&x=&y=

sheena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheena Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 9

U can use buttercream, ganache or jam to help the fondant adhere to your cake better.

Kandy4283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandy4283 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:45pm
post #6 of 9

I gotta say the same as everyone else...you need a layer or bc or some sort of frosting to use as the "glue" part for the fondant!

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:25pm
post #7 of 9

I was going to say staple gun it... but you see how awesome (and fast) the people are to help on here, I never stood a chance. icon_smile.gif

Does everyone really FREEZE their cakes? I just refridgerate mine. I thought freezing would cause issues with the cake when it thawed? Sure would make carving a little easier though, as long as it wasnt frozen solid.

Buttercream... is there anything it can't do?

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:29pm
post #8 of 9

I have heard that box cakes are too soft. Many have suggested pound cakes for a good dense carving surface. You will need a layer of something to hold the fondant- BC, glaze (melted jam and water), ganache.

kingamy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kingamy1 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 4:55am
post #9 of 9

You guys are so great!!! I really want to do well with this, and I really appreciate you guys sharing all of your tips with this newbie. It is very nice of everyone!! I can not wait to try again. I will post pics to let everyone see my first cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%