Calling All Scratch Bakers - I Need Help!

Decorating By cakecrazy09 Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 4:18am by Bonavolonta

cakecrazy09 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 3:26am
post #1 of 5

I made a chocolate cake recipe tonight and I don't know what went wrong but the outsides were burnt and the middle didn't cook at all. I was making two 10 x2 rounds and on 6 x 2 square. I really want to make my cakes by scratch but this was not a good start. I double the recipe below. I miss read the directions and put the wet ingredients in first then the dry. Any ideas what went wrong? Anyone have an easy recipe that will make two 10x2 rounds?

1 3/4 c. flour
2 c sugar
3/4 c cocoa
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 large eggs
1/2 c vegetable oil
1 c. coffee - strong (I use instant)
1 c. buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in mixing bowl. Add eggs, oil, coffee, buttermilk and vanilla. Beat w/electric mixer on medium for 3 minutes. Pour batter into greased,floured 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.

4 replies
varika Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 3:33am
post #2 of 5

Try lowering your temperature by 25 degrees, putting in a flower nail, and using baking strips.

Bonavolonta Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 3:52am
post #3 of 5

Try this one instead. It's pretty similar.

2 1/3 cups flour
1 1/2 cups cocoa powder
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 tbls baking powder
3 cups sugar
5 large eggs at room temp
1 tbl vanilla
1 1/2 cups buttermilk at room temp
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter melted
1 1/2 cups strong coffee

Preheat oven to 350
Grease and flour pans
Sift dry ingredients into mixer bowl (sugar included)
Whisk eggs and vanilla then add to dry
Stir in buttermilk, coffee, and melted butter

Makes two 9x2's and takes about 50 min to cook. You'll have to watch though. Chocolate cakes loose their chocolaty-ness the more they're cooked. I'd say use the bake strips also. Hope this helps! Let me know if you try it.

cakecrazy09 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:11am
post #4 of 5

thanks for the recipe I will try it. Have you tried doubling it? I have two 10 x2 rounds that I need. I think the recipe will leave me a bit short. I did use baking strips.

Bonavolonta Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:18am
post #5 of 5

I haven't tried doubling it. I think I would grab a pen and paper and write out the doubled measurements first though. Otherwise I would forget where I was! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%