Does Anyone Cut Their Own Stencils?

Decorating By DecorateMe Updated 3 Sep 2009 , 9:28pm by miny

DecorateMe Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:39am
post #1 of 18

I am starting a range of children's cakes that will be stenciled on the cake, for those that want a cheaper decorating option. I have the stencil cutter, I have the plastic, but I don't know where to start.

The stenciling will be cute designs like balloons, trains, ballet slippers, etc. Has anyone done this sort of stencilling - buttercream on buttercream?
Do you have pics?

I need to get an idea of how it works so I can get cutting. What sort of pictures work well as stencils?

Thanks for your help!!

17 replies
reenie Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:47am
post #2 of 18

I made my own stencil for the damask cake I did in my photos (teal, white and black). It was a pain but it worked and I'm happy I didn't have to spend a fortune on the ones from the cake decorating sites. I air brushed the design onto this particular cake.

cylstrial Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:34am
post #3 of 18

So what did you use for the actual stencil Reenie? I have been wanting to make my own as well.

reenie Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:40am
post #4 of 18

I went to the craft store and found stencil sheets in the stencil isle. Plain plastic sheets that you simply trace the pattern onto and cut out with an Exacto knife. I gotta tell ya, my fingers hurt from cutting out all the small intricate pieces but the result is well worth it. Plus you have a one of a kind stencil when your done.

dsalazar Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:49am
post #5 of 18

I have made my own stencils using a woodburning set that I bought at a craft store for pretty cheap. I find a picture that I like -- place it under a piece of glass then tape a piece of clear plastic on top of the glass and trace the picture with the woodburning tool. It works really easy.

bisbqueenb Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 2:01am
post #6 of 18

I've cut stencils from both plastic/acetate and cardstock [ when I was only wanting to use it once with my airbrush] using an exacto....NO MORE...I got a Silhouette digital cutter [ similar to the Cricut everyone is talking about in another thread] and will NEVER cut one with an exacto again! So not only can I cut the fondant/gumpaste, but now my airbrush stencils are a snap to make!

tatorchip Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 3:08am
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisbqueenb

I've cut stencils from both plastic/acetate and cardstock [ when I was only wanting to use it once with my airbrush] using an exacto....NO MORE...I got a Silhouette digital cutter [ similar to the Cricut everyone is talking about in another thread] and will NEVER cut one with an exacto again! So not only can I cut the fondant/gumpaste, but now my airbrush stencils are a snap to make!

bisbqueenb, the silhouette digital cutter can cut fondant and gumpaste also? I was thinking about getting one.
thanks

DecorateMe Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 3:31am
post #8 of 18

Thanks for your responses icon_smile.gif

Reenie, your cake is beautiful!

I am not looking into getting a machine right now, so what I'm doing is more like the woodburning kit. I specifically want to know what kind of pictures work well as stencils. I have seen a lot of cakes with patterns stencilled onto them, but not with a picture - anyone done this well?

xstitcher Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 9:05am
post #9 of 18

Here's a link on how to cut your own stencils:
http://painting.about.com/od/stencillingdecorative/ss/stencil_cutting.htm

and this one (has a link for free stencil patterns but I'm to sleepy to go thru them right now to see what's on them)
http://free-stencilingpatterns.com/newhowto_cut.html

thought this one might come in handy as well:
http://www.victorialarsen.com/Supplies/Stencil_mylar_1.htm

cylstrial Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:36pm
post #11 of 18

Wow! I'm so glad that I found this thread! You all have such great info! Thanks!!!

bisbqueenb Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 3:00pm
post #12 of 18

The stencil patterns make excellent fondant/gumpaste cut out patterns for the digital cutters as well. Easy to adapt them on the Silhouette program called Robo.

tatorchip Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:27am
post #13 of 18
Quote:

Thanks xstitcher, I downloaded some and they really look good, I hope I can use them soon

xstitcher Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:40am
post #14 of 18

Your welcome tatorchip, let me know how it works out for you.

miasuzzette Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:49am
post #15 of 18

I want to say Thanks, It's really helpful and it has alot of Cool stuff thumbs_up.gif

Margie icon_biggrin.gif

miny Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 7:39am
post #16 of 18

I was thinking in ordering some damask stencils today but after reading this thread I think I'm going to try and make my own but I have a question, if I want to airbrush it in SMBC I know it has to be cold and hard but do you cut the design in a loooong acetate strip to go all the way around the cake? Or make the stencil only a few inches long and airbrush it piece by piece? What do you think will be easier? TIA for any input on this

DecorateMe Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:55pm
post #17 of 18

Thanks for all your help! I made some stencils tonight using duralar and a soldering iron & it was so easy!
YAY!

miny, I haven't used my stencils yet, but I would imagine since they sell them as a small section that you repeat, rather than a long one that wraps around, that a section is fine. It means you only have to cut the pattern out once.
Good Luck!

miny Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:28pm
post #18 of 18

Thanks, I'm afraid to try this, specially with SMBC icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%